The Race Is On

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by southerlawn, Mar 2, 2013.

1. southerlawn

southerlawn LawnSite Member
    from Hays NC

So I have everything I need to get my business started for 2013. Unfortunately as most of you are starting your year or gearing up for I have no choice but to be out of the gate last in my first year. This is due to being on a military deployment, if I start getting things put together the day I return home Im looking at a full week of setup and prep. So I guess the question here is how badly do you think that it will effect me the first season not be albe to start until at best end of April to first of May?

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

It's crippling we had the same thing happen our first year did our first job April 29th. We had issues with the name and before you knew it one week dragged to a month and so forth all the while you can't start a bank account with out the name. You can't create your brand or do advertizing or even get your company phone until thats taken care of.

Plan on a major ad blitz the entire month of May and do what you can.

3. southerlawn

southerlawn LawnSite Member
    from Hays NC

well I guess thats a plus already have a name and some advertising material ready to go

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

You'll be fine, the grass doesn't really get going until the last two week's of April.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dont be surprised if you wind up taking jobs no one else wanted,

BUT on the plus side. MOST companys. are so busy. some customers fall through the cracks. " it happens to us "

ALSO: Look around in your area. for the largest companies. Walk right in and ask to talk to the owner. SIMPLY tell him your situwation. then ask him. is there any customers you can pass along to me ?

Trust me, you will be surprised at how many people will help you, when your helping your self.

dont just do this to one of them. Stop people on the streets. that are working. and ask them. hey do you guys ever have too many custoemrs? if you do can you send some my way ?

Best of luck to you

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i tried that approach my first year. i called all the lawn copanies in the phone book. they said they already have other people they give their spare yards to. i did have one company that only does landscaping tell me they would give my number out if anyone asked about mowing grass. i dunno if that has worked though.

7. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Just decide what type of things you're willing to do and be sure to let people know that. Like Bohiaa said, you might wind up with stuff no one else wants to do, but people realize you're willing to work hard. I even hear guys on here talk about hauling off junk and things like that. Good luck!