The real growth is in service

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Sep 12, 2007.

1. There is so much builder cr-p that needs to be fixed I'm convinced that this is the real growth market of our industry with the highest profit margins. I've many times revamped a system for more than the original install price. Here is an example of junk work I run into on a daily basis.
    The first are pics of two DVs in one 6" box
    The second is a leak we found in the same spot that was a poorly glued bell. The red line is where they should have seated. I mean we are talking dinky pipe here. How hard is it to glue a 1" pipe???!!!! Not only that I was able to peel them apart.

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

They prolly had a monkey teach them. :)

"Monkey see... monkey do." [​IMG]
  3. I must agree...over 10 years ago while still banging in installs, the repair work would get in the way of my installs. Now installs get in the way of my repair work.
    Even without up-selling a job I do $800-$1000 a day in just repairs: ie replacing heads, leaks, etc. The number of repair jobs grows exponentially each year with newer systems going in the ground and systems just getting order. This time of the year I am still getting 5-10 calls a day for repairs. Take note you young pups....
  4. Do the math. If LR works 200/days a year he is easily doing 200,000.
  5. I don't think anybody taught them.
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Repairs are where it's at. The only way to lose money on repairs, is if you don't have enough business and you just sit around the shop all day. There are plenty of ways to lose your butt on installs. My dad did it for 20 years, and he constantly reminds me not to get into installs.
  7. You guys are lucky.

Try convincing people to convert or maintain there irrigation systems on a regular basis.

On most commercial contracts that I maintain, it is part of the service(standard in our area). The only time that we get to charge for something is if it is vandal caused or a complete failure. Clogged head or sticky pop up, stuff like that is part of the ground maintenance service.
  8. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Around here, the money is in putting parts in the ground. I know of one or two guys that do service only, but unless you have a huge client base, you can't make any real money on the service end, the drive time will bankrupt you.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

And this was all work done by a LIC. :hammerhead:
  10. TRUE..........