The Real Truth About Scotts

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Runner, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Guys,
    Bottom line...what IS the deal with Scotts. Where does their franchise materia come from? Is it Andersons? I need facts. I know wherever they are getting it, it is packaged for them....It may or may not be in the colorful glossy bags (I would like to know that, too) but I also know that it is not the grey homogenized material that is bought in stores. They manufacture their own fertilizers. As a matter of fact, it goes way deeper than that. They research, develop, process, and manufacture their own fertilizers...but this is not what the franchises are spreading on the lawns now. What are they using now? Not what they were using 4 years ago (Andersons, I believe), but what are they using today? I know at one point, they were even using Lesco....I don't think this is the case now, because I think their backs were put to the wall about using a Scotts "labeled" product. Can anyone who is really up on the industry news help us? I just want my facts straight. It's all part of their 20 step program. (I say that fecitiously, because that's about what it comes down to.

2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I observed them using pre-m here on frozen turf 3 weeks ago. Thats all the info i have at this time?

3. Joshuakwhit

Joshuakwhit LawnSite Member

I work for the above mentioned. We use our own matieral. I have seen the media plants.

Don't be harse on me this is the only way to get my own Operator's lincense.

4. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I saw them in mid March in Granby, there was snow on the ground in some spots(and still is now 4/1)

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

That's funny, don't get offended when people here rip on them, we all started somewhere.:laugh:
    Many guys here started with TGCL and they get bashed here more than anybody, not undeservedly though.

I wish I could definitively answer your question Runner, but I can't. I ran into a Scotts tech a few yrs back, he was using the same Lesco stuff as most other guys. I mowed a Scotts lawn last yr. It grew like it was on steroids, must have been quite a bit of N going on it.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Runner

When Scotts first opened a franchise in my area all the fert on their trucks was in Lesco Bags. Now I see nothing but Anderson Fert in Scotts bags on their trucks.

Now it seem like Scotts uses awful expense Ink on their fertilizer bags. I can buy Anderson fertilizer in Anderson bag for about hslf price for the same Anderson fertilizer in a Scotts Bag.

7. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

When I worked there 5+ years ago, we used Anderson products. When supplies ran low or trucks were late, etc., they brought in whatever they could get at Lesco.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah,....someone said something a few days ago about the bags having a Lesco scew# on them. Ric,...How did you know it was Andersons if it was in the scotts bags - just by the consistency of it?

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

One drizzly spring morning a few years ago I was burning some time, chatting with a manager at a Cincy Lesco store (when Lesco was still "Lesco") and he got a phone call while I was sitting there at the desk...

A two minute conversation or so ensued...then he hung up the phone, looked at me, and just smiled a s&!+ eating devilish smile! :p

I pried him ...and asked him what was so funny.
    He smiled and said " Just hang out for about 15 minutes if you really want to know "
    (His partner then starts bringing out skids of Pre-M with the forklift, and lines them up in a row, outside, in front of the store)

Just like he said...within no more than 10 minutes ...there had to have been at least a DOZEN or more Scott's vans pulling into their parking lot and backing up to load Lesco Pre-M !!
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

When the lead Scotts guy came in to sign the papers, all he could talk about was how the "idiots" wouldn't ship the "right stuff" to them.

I'd've given anything to have a digital camera with me that day !!

10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Ashton Richie is the anti-christ !