1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"The Results Are In On Overseeding"

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Daner, May 26, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Who says that you cant get results from over seeding without slit seeding rakeing etc??
    Well all around my bird feeders the new grass is growing like crazy...The birds are droping there seeds :clapping: on the grass and yeeeeeee haaaaa:clapping:
    I,m going to try some pure creeping red fescue on a test spot and ....just throw it on there... will it seed?? or just become bird feed??
    Your not going to tell me that they slit a whloe golf course:laugh:
  2. stumped

stumped LawnSite Member

I used one of those cheap, tow behind your lawn tractor, lawn dethatcher. I ran it cross ways and round in circles too. I have a bagger on my mower, I sucked up as much of the thatch as I could, while digging in the soil a bit. I do this in the early spring then just throw down a good grade of grass seed. Remember you get what you pay for with grass seed. Buy the cheap crap and you'll have a lovely weed patch. I use Scott's premium sun and shade. I has about 1 percent inert matter. Thats what you want to look at, it's the inert matter that is weed seed.
  3. Daner

are you guys telling me that if i spread 150 lbs of creeping red fescue on a thinning 1 Acre lawn that there will be no new seedlings??
  4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

we used bent. seed w/fert carrier and tracked it in on the greens. fairways were seeded w/ large rotary spreader and then tracked in. alot of courses see slit seeders as an added expense. but, they are a good tool on bunker faces and problem area. I have never used one to seed anything in ten years of turf mngmnt.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I experimented on 2 patches in my yard. I had a 12x16 building moved that left a bare spot and a doglot 20x20 that left a bare spot too. Don't think the doglot left "fertilizer" because the urine kinda offsets that. I broadcast Lesco Transition blend and their starter fert over both areas and watered for about 10 days. I had very little activity anywhere.
    I rented a Mantis tiller for some jobs I had and thought I would try it on a section of both areas.
    The results were amazing. Grass popped up quickly in the areas that were tilled with the Mantis.
    I think getting the seed "in" the ground works better.
  6. Daner

Ok I f you need to overseed a 15 acre airplane runway...shure i know if you have great soil to seed contact you will get great results...If time is a factor like this one 15 acres just to spruce it up a bit... dont you think that a certian percentage of that seed will germinate...By just spreading it... or at the very most send a 10' plug areator down it first??
  7. Daner

and also a quick note :just a fast germinating grass nothing like K Blue
    Just a single blend like creeping red fescue
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I like Ky Gold myself, 100 lbs / acre light, 200 lbs / acre heavy, 150 is compromise.
    50 lbs. of Ky Gold is 60 dollars.

Grows great, the 0.4% weed doesn't seem to make a difference.

Oh yeah, I always core aerate and throw down a bunch of 10-10-10 and lime.

On an acre lot, 10-12 bags of each but at least 6, and 8 wouldn't hurt.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

seeding is like wiping your rear end
    sometimes u get ok results by just crop dusting the area
    but to get it done right and get the best germination u can u have to loosen up the soil somehow don't care how u do it but u have to do it

"oh and as for seed under the bird feeder coming up the birds pec at the ground also so it acts like a small aerator":waving:
  10. Daner

Lol good point Dusty... i think that U r Right