The Richest Customers Are The Worst Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jasonnau, Oct 26, 2005.

1. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe it's just me but, I'm finding that the wealthiest customers I have are the customers who continually pay their bills late, try to dicker me down on bid quotes and have me running around bidding on stuff that they never get done.

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Welcome to lawncare, and it aint just in your area either. My worst clients are the richer ones. We have a rich area that I will not even take a yard or go give a bid in for this reason. The area is saturated with lco,s who are working for 1960s pricing and the clients know it.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

How do you think they got so rich?..By dickering down and pinching pennies for services they can't or won't do themselves,but paying big bucks for the things that make them comfortable.At least that is something that HELPs them get rich.

4. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. I had a customer with a putting green w/sand bunker in back yard. He was nothing but a pita x2. He put me through so much hell last year that I stopped going and never returned his 5+ calls a day(he finally gave up). These "rich" looking people like to think they have all the power.

KC

5. jasonnau

This is exactly the same kind of neighborhood. Lco's everywhere. Problem is, I thought I had a good idea when I first started my lco by advertising in their local newspaper. Now I have about 5 in that same area. Most of the homes are over a million. But, just down the street, in the normal housing, I have about 10 others who never give me problems.

6. jasonnau

One of these same customers told me when I started, that he's on Social Security. Yeah, living in a 800 thousand dollar house. Two weeks later, I knocked on his door for something or another. His daughter answered and said He's in Europe for a month. Hmmmm, no wonder social security won't be around when I need it. It must pay really good.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As a rule my BEST customer is the average American but it wasn't always like that... It took me time to figure it out, too.

I keep trying to tell them, but then I never listened too good when I first started...

I have a few higher-income customers today, NONE of them are like this described but I lost more than a few that were...

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No offense but when you got 180 lawnboys ALL kissing YOUR azz begging OH pleeease OH pleeease I know you got money PLEEEEEAAASE can I work for you, what would you do, how would you act? This is what I meant in a way earlier thread when I said ALL new Lco's think this is where the money is, and it is one of the biggest mistakes *I* made, too.

I really need to get a lamborghini or a ferrari kit car, I LOVE it when they kiss my azz those poor little beggar boyz you can get them to work their azz off for next to nothing... We make 100k+ a MONTH and they'll basically pay US to allow them to work here, schitt we just get richer and richer, honey get me that kit catalog! Oooo the Panther Kallista looks good too, matter of fact so does the Excalibur and even the Morgan.
    You know where to get them go to Bob's, http://www.bobsclassics.com/

Thing frustrates me is when one of them calls and somehow I don't see it coming but the pisser is when I drive up and they act like it's going to be this way, grumbles grumbles...But I know the answer: Quote a HIGH price.

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I would bet you are not dealing with truly wealthy people. My guess is they are Dr's, Attorneys, Dentists, Realtors and the like, they are mortgaged to the gills and are always one step away from bankruptcy. I had a great client sold his home to a Dentist, the new owner had no clue what the costs were to maintain such a property. I did a service call and filled up the fertilizer injector sent him the bill and two weeks later followed up with a phone call. He wanted me to carry the bill for two months. I was in disbelief and told him as much "you just bought a 2.3 million dollar house you are leaving for Mexico for a week and you want me, the gardener to finance 400.00 for two months, are you serious, you must be joking" He paid but it taught me a lesson the really wealthy people are great they don't look twice at the bill and pay promptly. As part of an exercise my business coach had me ask the clients I felt most comfortable with why they used my service. I expected to hear that it was because of our complete service our expertise, but my best client summed it up she said I ask for something and you get it done. And I never give her a bid I just do the work and send a bill. Check the county accessors office and see if you clients financed their home or paid cash, that will give you a start in the right direction, if you are really curious. Wealthy people pay cash, read The Millionaire Next Door (and a million ain't what it used to be).

10. jimmdenver

jimmdenver LawnSite Member

They didn't get rich by writing checks!