The right grass for the right yard.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dingo, Mar 28, 2000.

1. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

I am getting ready to overseed my own yard. It is very shady and the soil is not too compacted. Some places on the top layer of the soil there is a thin layer of sand. I want to get all the weeds undercontrol which includes alot of moss. What should be the first thing i do? Spray for weeds? Aerate? I want to get started on it soon. I plan to use the aeration and overseeding method. It curantly has fescue. What type of grass would you recommend? I live in memphis, tn and the weather goes anywhere from 0 to 110 in temp and we get a pretty fair amount of rain. thanks for all the help<br>Dingo

2. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

whats wrong guys? Is this subject intimidating to ya?<br>Dingo

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Dr. Vargas from Michigan State Univerity: &quot;Do you know why Dolly Parton doesn't have grass growing by her feet? <br>A. Grass doesn't grow in the shade.&quot;<p>Having said that, I would pull a soil test first. Then apply the recommended additives such as lime, etc. Creeping red fescue and the like would make the best seed blend. I would not blanket apply any broadleaf herbicides - only spot spray. Fertilize using organics only - no salty fertilizers.<p>Plants derive their energy from the sun, when that's deprived, you need to be right on with everything else to get it come out right.

4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

lazer why not salty fertilizers in the shade<br>anthony

5. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

hey guys thank for the responses. i think i am just going to wait until the fall and round up everything, till it, round it up again, level it out and seed. I think i am going to use a mix of severl different turf-type tall fescue. what do you guys think about this.

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Why roundup a second time? Roundup works best when you spray the grass directly. It does nothing by spraying the tilled dirt. If you spray, wait a week or two for it to die, then till. The second spray would be about 99% uselesss. Round up is not a pre-emerge.

7. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

thanks steve thats the kind of help i need. <br>the rest of you please responed with any tips. thanks<br>dingo