the right mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slikrick, Feb 12, 2004.

1. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

I've been checking out the exmark 32 and 36'' wb to start off with, this way i can get through gates to get to back yards... however I'm not very educated on all the different types and brands out there. I've seen the exmark because of the local dealer here. I was looking for different opinions on the exmark, snapper, toro and maybe any other out there that i dont know of yet and what HP goes great w/ each.... and is the kawasaki the best motor out there?
    thanks
    Richie

2. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a good ex-mark dealer, go with them, they make fine mowers.

If you want a hydro 32" get a Exmark vicking.

If you want a 36" you can get a Exmark vicking (fixed) or TurfTracer HP (floating)

Exmark Metro is BELT drive.--cheaper but with limitations over a hydro.

3. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I alway recommend that people look at all the options, and the above brands are quality brands. I know guys who have torro and there are guys/gals here that use all the other brands and all have opinions, which is what this site is all about. My opinion is this, first how much do you have to spend? If that isn't a question then go out and try different brands... the above links all will tell you what dealers are where and how to contact them. And as Dode said belt drives are different to hydro's. Test drive the brands and see what YOU like, it is sort of like asking what truck is the best... Ford? Chevy? Dodge? Toyota? you will get 100's of different answers and you know what each company makes a good product (for the most part) but personal preference plays into it. Stay away from mowers that are not commercial quality. A high end residential might make it for a few years, but in the long run you will have been better off spending the same on a good used or even a new 36"er. One thing I also recommend is check out www.landscapersupply.com if money is a problem. They have a couple of mowers that don't cost too much that might fit your needs and if things don't work out then you have no over spent and have huge debt. Their 36" w/b has a 15hp kawi belt drive, pistol grip controls for about $1999.99 I think and add 6% shipping. You might find that works out well for you. You might also find that a dealer near by has a last years model for a song, it is real just footwork and asking questions. If I can be of any more help let me know!

4. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

FFMED74, if you can help id appreciate it, my question now is what is the difference between belt drive and hydro and the difference between a floating dock and fixed? Im seeing those two options everywhere and dont know the differnce... at the same time, will dealers allow you to ride the mowers before buying?
    thanks
    richie

5. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

From what I gather most dealer who are quality will do a demo for you. The biggest difference I know of, and if anyone wants to jump in please do, the hydro's are much easier to control, they are smoother and easier on the operator. I have a belt drive currently and I have very little problem with it, but on a long day you will be able to tell the difference in your hands , arms and forearms. I will be going up to the hydro's when I can...The other side oth that coin is a belt is cheaper to fix than a hydrolic pump, just fyi.
    Now for the floater vs fixed, the difference is mainly what it sounds like, fixed doesn't move floating deck does. I have a fixed deck, but I also mow pretty flat ground, I am told that the floaters are good, but they have a down side too, my friend says even though they "float" they can scalp if the terrain is rough.... Don't know for sure, but that was his take. It is a personal preference on the deck. The most popular mower I know of is Scag and I believe they are all fixed decks. Ferris has floaters and so do other brands. The Ferris dealer up here said it is like riding your car down the road without springs(fixed) and then with springs.(floater)
    I would also concider one more item, a sulky. Go with a 2 wheel, seems to ride better. I have never had a single wheel, but have alway been told to stay away from them. Hope this helps, I can say this, THIS IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET HELP, the site is great and most everyone gives good advise, you will learn quick who to listen to. Eric

6. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

thanks eric, thats a lot of help and information! Now its up to the dealers! whos actually going to treat me good for my money.
    thanks
    richie

7. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Anytime, now know this there are a lot of other members who know much more than I do... Just try to help best I can!