1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

the right thing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fishindude, Mar 20, 2006.

1. fishindude

fishindude LawnSite Member

I am in my first season in lawn care. I bid on a residents yard that needed sodding, even though I did not have sodding on my flier, I still agreed to come out to give an estimate because he also wants weekly lawn care. Not knowing the prices for a large sod job (1800sqft), I checked around with many local dealers and contractors who do that type of work for prices. So instead of bidding low or bidding high, I stayed a little above the medium range and sent him the estimate. He gave me the job. The question is, did I do the right thing in staying with the average cost or should I have bid high to cover my hours of work. I mainly did this for the weekly service. Its just me in my business as of now.

I handed out 850 fliers to this area and am receiving at least 2 new clients a day for a week now. Thirteen new clients as of now. Thanks for all the help and encouragement I have received from this web site.
  2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I think you did good...althought I do not know for sure what your overhead costs are. Next time try subbing out the work and still getting the maintenance contract.
  3. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like you are having good sucess with the flyers keep up the good work. I have never needed a single flyer word of mouth is my weapond, i just picked up two new accounts in the last day!