The Right Truck!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, May 14, 2001.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Morning everyone, I'm buying an existing lawn business. Not too confident of the used truck coming w/ the business. Are there engine minimums that I should consider if I get a new truck- i.e. will the smaller Nissan & Toyotas do the trick? I'm pulling a 16ft trailer w/ 2 John Deere 655's, plus trimmers, edgers etc.

Cordially, Sheppard

2. lawnfire

lawnfire LawnSite Member

Sheppard, I currently pull a 5x10 with a Walker, trimmers, and a push mower, I have a 2000 Nissan Crew, with a V6. It seems to strain pulling this small load. I am currently looking to buy a F250, just because of this reason. Lf

3. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

If I had to upgrade my truck and i was doing commercial work I would go into a F450 diesel with a Dominator body or something similar that could pull my trailer or bobcat and haul mulch ,loam etc. spend it once and forget about it until you get bigger or the truck dies.

4. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

I pull a 16' trailer with a Woods ZTR and a Yazoo 3-wheel along with a push mower trimmers and blowers, etc. and I was using an S-10 Blazer with a V-6 Vortec. Even though it was a great engine I had to get rid of it. I am buying an F-250 Powerstroke Diesel. This engine along with the Cummins are the best I think. I am sure the Duramax's are good to but I don't have the cash flow for those trucks. I would say anything V-8 should pull it but I would get a diesel. Everyone I have talked to loves the diesel. Hope this helps.

5. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Sheppard, I too have a crew cab Nissan and I pull a 6x12 trailer with exmark 36 and a small trim mower and all of the other stuff. It actually does pretty good for the weight but I would definitely get the supercharged truck if you want a nissan. I personally have had nissans for the last 8 years. But I sometimes find myself drooling over the super duty fords or the new hd GMC. My father-in-law has a crew cab ford v-10 and it will pull some incredible weight and it costs him $600+ per month too. I can't justify it yet but you might.
    Just one man's opinion.

PS. Lawnfire, How have you liked your truck so far? How long have you owned it? Just curious.

Rick

6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Lawrence Stone has rated the GMC cabover as a best buy and others who own them have backed him up.

I personally have a chevy C-30 with a 350 and has no problem with a 3500 lb 12 ft. trailer.

I have also pulled it with my dodge 1500 with a 360 without a problem, although I feel that pulling that trailer and having a load in the bed would be too much for the 1500 over time.

good luck.

7. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

1 word.....ok 3 words....."ford big six".

I personally would go with a f-150 with the 300ci straight six.Those engines are torque monsters!Also the reliability of the big six is well know.A landscaper in my city has one with 700,000 kms on it and it still runs great!!!Plus they are better on gas then the V8's.

How much torque you ask????From what I hear they will out pull a 302!

Just my opinion....I can't say 1 bad thing about my f-150,its been a great truck!

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Generally speaking a 302 will make more torque and horsepower than a 300 six. I held out for a 302 when I bought my 95. The six cylinders were on average about $3000 less though.

The first truck I used was a 85 Toyota, went through 3 engines (used) in about a year and a half.

9. you say that you are buying an existing business. what kind of work do they do now? and what do you want to add on or remove from their list of services? i personally do tree work, landscaping, and lawn care. right now i work with a ford f150 with the big 6. i pull a 16 foot landscape trailer. the truck will do it. but it takes a beating. i am trying right now to get enough money together for a down payment on a new 550 with the turbo diesel. that will do whatever i need it to do for right now and then some. i would really say that if you are gonna get a truck to pull that kind of trailer get at least an f250, or a 2500 from gmc, chevy, or dodge. diesel or gas. that is what you have to chose when you see what kind of an area you are covering, and what kind of work you will be doing. i know people who only use pickup trucks and do landscaping, tree work, and lawn care and no trailer. they say it is good but i would rather not have to shovel stuff out of the back of the truck. its all about what you need it to do besides cutting grass. but definatley get at least a 250. because of suspension.

10. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

and brakes. more stopping power never hurts