1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Right Way to Calculate Quotes??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CP Estates, Dec 2, 2005.

1. CP Estates

CP Estates LawnSite Member
    from North

I have a questions that seems remedial, but what is the best way to calculate how long it will take to cut a place of about 2 acres? Even if the property is 2 acres, you have to take out the house, driveway and pool which leaves you with maybe 1 1/2. If there are alot of trees, then maybe only an acre. Assuming you are using a 60" ztr, how do you know how long and as a result how much to charge? Maybe figure out the square footage ?

If 1 acre = 43,560 sq.ft., then 1 1/2 acres = 65,340
    A 60" ztr with overlapping cuts approx. 54" at an average speed of 7 mph

What is the right way?
  2. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

using your figures... 5280*7*4.5=166,320 square ft per hour divided by 65340 = .39 hours or 23.6 minutes but you won't be able to keep up 7 mph around the entire yard
  3. try measuring an area off and then time yourself and you'l know your times.
  4. Cooper725

Cooper725 LawnSite Member

If you really want to know the most accurate way to figure this out go here http://www.ferrisindustries.com/m_productivity.php I have a 61 inch 27 hp ferris 1000z and at 7mp I can cut an estimated 3.5 acres an hour. So if its about 1 1/2 an acre you should be able to do this in under 30 mins. My crews gets $40.00 an acre so it would be about $60.00. Hope this helps.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

From experience!
    The trimming and blowing will take about as long as the mow. load and unload time and you will have 2 man hrs in it
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As a rule, it takes me anywhere from 45 to 75 minutes to cut acre lots, depending somewhat on whether it's 0.9 acres or 1.3 acres... Now to be fair, it doesn't really matter whether it takes me 10 minutes or 3 days, because an acre is an acre and around here, an acre lot goes for 50-60 dollars, no matter how long it takes.

So, 2 acres = 100 dollars, make it 120 if it's really 2.4 acres.

Of course there is a house but I will only be mowing where there is lawn (so there is no extra charge for the space it takes up, lol).

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I do not deduct for trees, I add. Takes longer to go around stuff that to just cut straight thru.
    Plus each tree needs to be trimmed around and you have to walk to that tree before you can trim it.
    And that tree will drop branches that need to be picked up before you can mow.
    And that tree will drop leaves in fall that need to be dealt with.

Heck now that I think about it I think I will drop all my customers with trees on their lots.:D

Anybody want to buy a bunch of used mowers---:p
  8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

A good rule of thumb is a 2 man crew using 60 ztr's can produce 1.5.-2.1 acre per hour of finished production, depending on trimming, loading ease, blowing etc. olderthandirt had a good points.
  9. rogers lawn care

rogers lawn care LawnSite Member

well i guess thats that.