the right way...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PTSolutions, Jun 28, 2008.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

hey guys, a lil background on our fert side of the business first. this wil be the second year we have been applying fert in programs for our customers. previous to that we would only do random apps like a weed and feed here and there and only a starter fert like 10-20-26 for new seedings.

well i wanted to get licensed and do it right this year and learn some new things. So i jump on the Ohio dept. ag. site to get the details, send in an application with money for the study materials, they send me another form to fill out about terrorists. ok fill that and send it. then they send me another letter telling me to ammend my insurance with a clause that states the agent will notify the ODA in case of policy cancellation blah blah blah. do that and agent sends it to them. So im waiting and here the ODA sends me two envelopes, in one is another blank application that i had already filled out and sent in at the beginning. and the other envelope contains my license certificate and number. Im like what the heck? i thought i was supposed to study and then sign up for a test ad then pay 100 per year for my license?

what was your guy's process like and what do you think i should do?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

ProTouch Groundscapes

Typical of the Bureaucratic System the right hands doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I would make a Phone Call and try and speak with a Knowledgeable State employee in that department. They can be hard to find but do exists. Better to safe than sorry.

I have a Road & Right Away license. In my state to legally spray weeds in parking lots you need one. But Road & Ride Away maintenance is a Billion dollar business with a lot of big boys like Deanglo Brothers of Penna that do work nation wide. Like you I try and study Niche markets. Finding the right Niche could make you a millioniare over night or at least we like dream. As far as Utility line, Rail Roads and Hwys go, that market requires Big Bucks and lots of politics. Gravel Parking lots, ditchs and other inaccessible areas in Industrial parks, Storage Yards, Car dealers etc. is a Market that has Need but little demand. Most places will have an employee use Home Cheapo Roundup when they can't stand the weeds any longer. Maybe I didn't market the Idea hard enough. But I am still thinking about possible niche markets all the time.

3. PTSolutions

from OH

i applied for a business applicators license because we are a landscaping company that does mowing etc... and the occasional fert apps.
    i have actually taken clients away from some of the big boys like tru-green and some other specialized local companies here b/c they didnt provide results.

our results: we cut a yard down our street that is on our 5 step program, in a 7 day period the grass grows triple its height, and this is in the summer. spring growth required us to bag then triple cut after that. this stuff is like steroids for that yard.

our products:
    5 step program: all granular
    pre-emergent
    weed n' feed with trimec
    insect control with mach 2
    summer fert
    fall fert

liquid herbicides i only use round up pro concentrate for spot spraying in beds etc. or patios, driveways stuff like that.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

ProTouch Groundscapes

Sounds to me like you are applying for the wrong License. Right Away doesn't cover Lawn & Landscape.

5. PTSolutions

from OH

sorry if there was a misunderstanding, i meant the title to mean like "im trying to do this the RIGHT WAY" not right of way. sorry lol, i applied for a business applicators license.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not looking to offend here, but if you're getting those type of results in the heat - then you are WAAAAYYYY over applying. NOT to mention the obvious fact that you shoot yourself in the foot with the mowing end of it...

7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

In Mn we need a Pesticide Applicators License AND a Fertilizer License. Pest license requires a test, fert does not.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

ProTouch Groundscapes

I will take responsablity also in the fact I didn't read completely or understand your post. I skim read most posts, which is not good.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, but he WOULD like to get it right away! LOL

10. PTSolutions

from OH

id say that 97% of the lawn "maintenance" companies around here that advertise fertilizing do not even carry licenses for it. only the companies that strictly do fert n' squirt carry due to increased exposure. im just very anal about doing things the right way and doing them professionally.

actually the sq. footage of the lawn is approaching the maximum coverage area that is listed on the bag. their yard likes to retain moisture for a while so even several days after a good rain, the yard seems to be well watered and very green compared to others who are just starting to brown.

id still like to learn more about fertilizng, b/c i dont want to be that guy who just goes out and buys some crap and throws it down onto the yard, i want to be able to diagnose issues and treat them the right way. are there any books you guys recommend to learn about some general stuff in this line of work? since ODA isnt sending me any "study materials"