1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The root of the problem (unfortunetly it was a friend)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yard_smart, Jun 19, 2008.

1. yard_smart

yard_smart LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking to one of my buddy's the other day and got on the subject of mowing. . .

Him and his dad do it in the evenings after they get off from there 45 to 50 hour a week jobs . . . i was like oh boy here we go

started talking about people on fixed incomes and i BOLDLY stated that i don't even talk to them. . . not teying to be mean just not the demographic i want to target. . . well that opened the can of worms and let me reliezed why mowing is so "whored" out here

He said well you know mr. joe don't ya i said sure he has a pretty decent sized yard . . .my friend continues ya well i do his for 30 to help him out

!!!!WHAT!!! i yelled are you joking . . . i wouldn't touch that yard for less than 50

well this had to be explained and oh boy did he ever lol

"well i figure no more than 10 in gas it take about 40 min so thats better than 20 an hour thats damn good money"

oh man i was heated . . . i said what about uniform/insurance/equipment up keep/office cost/workmans comp/ ????

he said well i don't have all that . . . . thats how i got it from the guy that was mowing before . . . . he was charging them poor old people 60 a mow

I was like wow well do what you thinks best

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The difference is - you're doing it for a living, and he's doing it for side money. About 70% (and that's conservative) of the people you see out there doing it don't have insurance, pay taxes, and have business expenses involved.
  3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Everything. Turn his ass in so the IRS can check and see if he is reporting all that income. I mean, he MAY be reporting it all, but if he's out there undercutting everybody else and isn't insured and all the other stuff, chances are he's only taking cash and is putting it all in his pocket (for as long as it takes to get to the liquor store anyway).
  4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

It's amazing how few LCO's actually understand what their costs are.
  5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

Sad part is i have to hide away freakin 20% so come tax time i have it.:usflag:
  6. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

$20/hour is not "damn good money."
  7. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

You are 100% correct, but to him with no business expenses except for gas that is a lot......for me or you or anyone with a "legit" business it ain't sh!t!!!!
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

9. yard_smart

10. yard_smart