The science of decks...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, Aug 5, 2006.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I used to think not of deck design, set-up etc years ago. Just run the mower over the grass and that's it.

Now I realize there is a lot more to it than that.

I'm looking for pointers from the experienced on deck setup.

Things such as the angle of the deck front to back, blade rpm, and different types of blades-

How changing the above setup can affect results(cut quality, striping, discharge ability, ability to increase or need to decrease ground speed) on different types of grasses of different heights, and varying degrees of wetness.

Also looking for ways to minimize clumping and especially build-up on the underside of the deck.

I realize every deck design is different, but I'm looking for general tips that I can experiment with. On my dad's lawn. Cause he won't yell:)

Or any specific info any of you have with exmark's Trivantage or Ultracut decks.

2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

What works in FL will likely not suit your needs in WI. Turf types matter. We have 2 mowers one set up for st. augustine and the other set up running dbls (high lifts over gators for bahia and weedy yrds [or in other words the one timer that lets things get a little out of control we can go in and powder the lawn with the dbls])

As far as what to use under deck. Pam works ok, We have bought the commercial stuff but the sand just blasts it off.

Something I have wanted to do for along time is have the deck rino lined for shins and giggles to see if really did any good.

My opinion for equipment that your 48" 19HP would be underpowered for dbls.

Do you not have a yrd to experiment with?

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I can experiment on my dad's lawn. But I don't want to mess it up too badly, he's been paying to have weed and feed etc.

When you say double blades, do you actually sandwich the blades together, like hold two blades on each spindle with one bolt, at like 90-degree angles to each other? I've heard the term used before, but not sure how it's done. I don't plan on trying it but I'm curious.

4. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Yep, two blades mounted on each spindle perpendicular to each other. Works great.