The Scrub next door

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, May 19, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not often use the term "Scrub", and I try to be respectful of those who are just starting out etc. However when I see a poor job it makes me mad. Even someone starting out can do a good job if they try. Sometimes it might take longer but they shouldn't be doing the work unless they plan on doing it right.
    There is a big difference between waiting another week to edge (when its border-line), and leaving a total mess when you exit a property.

The photos are from a property next to one which I service. This is the kind of mess that I have been seeing lately and it makes me wonder why someone allows this to continue?

The only thing I can figure is that he's cheap so they don't mind the clumps, and the bare spots that come with them?

Jimbo

img_0279-1.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Get out the baler and tractor boys! It's gonna be a hay-day!!!

Man I hate seeing that more than you do Jim :angry:

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres another photo.

FYI- Those who read my recent post.." 14" of grass/ weeds" should know that this was cut on the same day of the week (same conditions) and the grass was average mowing height, because its cut weekly.
    It's pretty bad when I can can cut off 7" more grass than he does and still have no clumps.

Jimbo

img_0281-1.jpg

4. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

wow,that looks nice:rolleyes: I would personaly feel bad if I left a property looking like that.The guy is probably cheap like you said,that is a good example of "you get what you pay for":cool: :eek: payup

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Jim not only did you not leave clumps but I couldn't even see any clippings! Although the grass wasn't dried yet.. what mower was he using? Many homeowner mowers will clump badly if the decks are not clean or if the discharge flap is down. Some even clump bad if the deck is clean and flap up, because their blade speed is soooooo slooooooooowwwwwww..... I used to think that my Wheel Horse garden tractor did a good job. Well.... now that I've run commercial mowers I love them to death and when i got the Wheel Horse out the other day I couldn't get over how it clumped and laid so much grass on top when mowing! The deck did need cleaned and blades sharpened, but still....

6. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

they need a few goats from goats unlimited at that hey field :D

7. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Damn

You should have seen the neighbor behind me. They even left strands of grass sticking up that were very obvious. Time to send the business card to their residence.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

unfortunately, I am willing to bet they got the quality job that they were willing to pay for.:(

GEO

9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh come on Jimbo, its really one you did. You can tell us the truth! ;)

I find it funny and sad to see others leave a place looking that ragged. It just goes to show, that some people really dont care. And their pitiful work shows it too.

I always try to leave a place as nice as possible no matter what. I always feel my name and reputation is on the line everytime I work somewhere, so why not pat myself on the back and leave it spotless! Its good for referral's either way.

They will either say "Wow, look at that place, its awesome. I wonder who does that great work. If we need someone lets hire them."

Or "Wow, look at that place, its terrible. I wonder who would leave a place looking that bad. Make sure we never hire that person."

Either way people notice. And either way you do make a name for yourself, a good one or a bad one.

10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i'll get a pic of a very humourus crew that does one down the street from me, it's an idiot on a craftsman mower and another with a trimmer, the worst i've seen them do besides the cutting in circles@ 1\2" or all the clumps of grass is filling up the trimmer with gas while smoking:blob2::blob2: