The scrubs are winning!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Feb 28, 2005.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Getting a little discouraged here. I try to run my business as professional as I can....workers comp, payroll taxes, general liability, pay my own taxes, run quality equipment. To do this I am trying to charge fair but not rock bottom prices. I can't tell you how many guys I run into that run crappy equipment, get paid cash (and dont pay taxes), pay their help cash, no insurance or workers comp, and charge an average of $10 to $15 per man hour. This type of low overhead deal helps them to kick my a**!

I'm about to the point of saying "if you cant beat 'em, join 'em". :angry:

2. lawn gonzo

lawn gonzo LawnSite Member
    from texas

I know what you mean, I do some tree service on the side, and today doing a new account, see a "Tree Man" doing a small dead tree removal one house down from me. As I am leaving lawn account, go around the block to get a better look at him, Mr Man has just felled said dead tree across yard and three quarters of road ahead of me, blocking traffic in both directions, YIKES!!!! What can you do???

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

It seems to me that alot of people in my area dont care who mows their lawn as long as it is cheap! Nice equipment, insured, experienced, uniformed, reliable....seems to mean nothing as long as the price is right.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

what can i say this is becoming more and more of a volume business, Full services account a far and few in some areas

5. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Are you talking about ......

Residential ?
    OR
    Commercial ?

I can see the bottom falling out of prices on residential,,,,but not commercial accounts. Its easy to go do residential and get paid cash...try it on commercial and they will laugh at you ( most legit will ). Maybe you should try getting some commercial accounts.

6. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

HEY welcome to the green industry!!!! this is a constant problem, then again what can u expect when there is a low entry barrier to an industry like this.

everyone complains about it, theres not much anyone can do, theres a niche in the market for everyone. the ones complaing about scrubs i dont think have found their place yet.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea I been doing this for 14 years and its gotten worse and will continue that way.
    On the commercial side, you have these volume people working many counties thinking they are making money. Maybe they are but with alot more headaches and stress. You have the influx of newbies in this market too driving down the prices and/or keeping them low.
    I have seen 2 operations whose owners thought they could just hire alot of people and sit back in the office and enjoy the profits. Maybe they didnt manage properly but either way they are gone. Usually takes 3 to 5 years for these type operations to go under. Some do make it though

8. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

As I have said in previous threads I have learned to sell myself not just on quality but all the other services I can provide. If all a customer wants is their lawn cut they will usually go with the lowest price but if you can do more than just mow (shrub trimming, clean-ups, light landscaping) they will stick with you even if you are a little more expensive.

9. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

The best thing that you can do is gather as much information about them and report them to the IRS, for starters.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on who and what you are targeting. Can you try to be "to professional"? I think so.

Professional doesn't mean not handling things the way they should be, just being to image conscience.