The skinny on Dump Trailers...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ETPRO, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ETPRO

ETPRO LawnSite Senior Member

Looking to purchase a dump trailer this year. Pretty sure I know what setup I am looking for but wanted to poll the audience on any and all input into what works for you and doesn't work.

Really hoping someone has some light to shine on an electrical system that works. Haven't seen one that really delivers more than one dump per charge. Has anyone used the solar charging system?

You guys with dump trailers, please weigh in. All input welcome. Don't want to make a purchase that I regret.

2. ETPRO

Also, paint? Powdercoat? etc...

3. ETPRO

The solar system I've heard about from a few different manufacturers... Some have said they use them on their trailers that they use to transport trailer orders (gooseneck equipment trailers with hydraulic dovetail on back...) and have had them set up that way for 6 months without hooking them to chargers since.

Anybody using this?

http://www.pjtrailers.com/options/solar-charger/

4. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

I think that battery life on a dump trailer requires two things. First a nice big deep-cycle marine/RV battery. Dump trailer pumps don't typically require huge amperages to operate, but require medium/large amperage for an extended period of time. this means that your standard auto battery is ill suited to the task. Second is having your trailer and truck setup so that the trailer is charging off of the 12V+ line on your truck.

5. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

How does one go about setting up the trailer to charge off your 12V connection?

6. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

All dump trailers I've seen get charged from the truck.

Powder coating is nice if you can get it. I'm sick of trailers rusting after 1 season.

7. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

One would think powder is the way to go, but, I had a powdered trailer and every sharp edge on it peeled. I've never seen a painted trailer do that.

Agreed.

I posted this, on another thread. You simply can't beat a dedicated cable setup going to your dump trailer's batteries. Also, you may go to your semi-trailer dealer and investigate their cable setups for liftgates. They make a coiled, heavy-guage, inter-vehicle cable just for this.

8. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I'm confused about this whole charging thing. Are some not already set up from the factory? Mine doesn't require any extra cabling, it uses the same plug as the lights and brakes.

9. Mud23609

Mud23609 LawnSite Member

The oem charge wire in the plug is far to small to handle the necessary current for repeated dumps. Yes it will charge it, but far to slow. I ran a heavy gauge wire (welding cable in my case) though a ford solenoid (so I could switch it on and off) from my trucks batteries to my trailer battery. Never had any trouble after that with a dead battery on the trailer.

10. Mud23609

Mud23609 LawnSite Member

On the paint vs powder coat. My PJ was a 2010 model. The powder coat started flaking of right away. I like the PJ trailer but I wish it had been painted instead.