The skinny on Dump Trailers...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ETPRO, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Mud23609

Mud23609 LawnSite Member

That will depend largely on your intended use. If your hauling soil or aggregate. There is no real advantage to the longer trailer. You will run out of payload with a shorter trailer especially with side boards before you run out of room. With mulch, leaves, or sawdust the extra room in a 16 footer is nice, but could be made up for with taller side boards.

I bought the 16 and will probably buy another 16 footer for hauling equipment. My mini ex especially fits better in a 16 foot trailer. It would haul in a 14 as well but I get a better angle on the chains in a 16. I am ok with giving up a few hundred pounds of payload having the longer heavier trailer for the advantages I get when hauling equipment.

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

We are doing mulch deliveries this year. I think I'm going to go ahead and get a 16ft gooseneck. I keep thinking id regret a 14ft.

And like you said it could double as equipment trailer when needed
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Moving equipment in a dump trailer sucks if you've gotta dedicated equipment trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. whiffyspark

I know junior, I'm buying a 25ft tilt closer to summer. Just always good to have versatile equipment
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ETPRO

ETPRO LawnSite Senior Member

Ok now lets hear it... What brand dump trailer are you guys running?

6. whiffyspark

I'm ordering a Kaufman Wednesday probably

16 ft deluxe gooseneck
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Mines a hawke, I think.. Went to an auction just bs'ing around and ended up buying it. I didn't think it'd get used much. But it's made it's moneys worth many times over. It's not pretty, but we haul busted up concrete in it, let the concrete pump an trucks clean out in it.. And it's surprising how well it's done..
    Posted via Mobile Device

It's a pace. Just looked at a picture I had..

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  8. Mud23609

Mud23609 LawnSite Member

My last one was a PJ. Next one will likely be as well.

9. whiffyspark

Anyone ever seen decent priced liners?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. BckYrdLmbrJk

BckYrdLmbrJk LawnSite Member

I picked up a Suretrac 7x12 in October and love it. Its got a scissorlift and hasn't had any problem lifting 10k+ lb loads of logs. I'm nervous about the powedercoat as I'm already seeing rust and I just bought the thing. I believe it had been sitting at the trailer place for a bit. Handles great behind the truck empty or loaded.

Annnd this thread just reminded me I forgot to take the battery out of it before winter...was using it atleast a couple times a month until early January but still. I'll have to remember to take the battery out and throw it in the shop tomorrow. Hope I remember to put it back in next time I go to use the trailer...