The Spider Webs of August...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Aug 21, 2003.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

over the years I have observed that I run into many more spider webs during august than any other month.

and this year seems even worse, perhaps due to a wet mild summer.

I can hardly mow a pass through any yard without having to wipe the floating webs out of my face and hair!:eek:

this morning I went out for the paper and got a face full. after wiping, spitting and finally making it to the mail box, I started back to the house. I ran into the darn things again!

unfortunately, it is a story that will be repeated many times today.

perhaps..."what a tangled web we weave...when we....." is an appropriate saying.:)

GEO

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i feel your pain, on an hourly basis. it gets old after the first one!

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Uuuugghhh.. I know exactly what you mean. It gives me the creeps when that happens. And you're right. There's a lot of them out now.

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Some may be them silk worms, The green catipillar things that hang from the trees.

I am sick of all the different things that bite. Seems like every day I will squash a bug that is chewing on me that I have never seen before.

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Interesting

I have noticed far less webs and insects of all kinds this year.

6. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

I think the worst, are biting flies....too fast to swat! And they always come back for more.

7. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Got nailed by one of these -------- on the golf course Sunday - right behind the knee, so every time I took a step the sweat rolled onto the bite

8. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

then when you run through one youre wondering where the spiders gonna bite:(

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Here, we're blessed with Black Widows, Brown Recluses, many more poisonous ones, and some suckers that are 7" big! Big ole yellow and black scary looking things. Said to feed on the blood of horses. Horse Spiders is the common name, no clue on the real name. Imagine running into a HUGE web and seeing one of those things crawling up the web towards you. I guess if they're not afraid of horses.....AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Yup, spiders suck.

~Nest

10. Chief

Chief LawnSite Member

It is a strong sign that Fall is just around the corner. I have the same problem in my area as well. The spiders are fattening up for the Fall and Winter.