The standing JD!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Feb 22, 2002.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday I went to the open house of the John Deere dealership here in Tallahassee. Saw the new standing unit from JD- thik it's the 665. This thing has a floating deck! I drove it directly over curbs- back and forth! The deck hight is instantly adjustable.

This thing is very competitive w/ the Wright Stander. The price is right in line with the Stander as well.

The Manufacturer's Rep. said it was one of a very few prototypes in the country. Said also production will be up by May.(?)

Anybody else seen this?

2. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't that the same thing as a Great Dane?
  3. marc

marc LawnSite Member

I do believe that jd bought Great Dane. However, I think that you still will be able to buy the yellow great danes as we know them as well as units that look like them with the jd colors.
  4. sheppard

According to the JD sales rep ( and we know salesmen never lie) this is a complete re-work of the entire system. It is not a relabeling of a Great Dane.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

JD hgas to be careful about redesigning the GD mowers. GD had to do a dance all around Wrights patents on the standup ZTRs and I have no doubt that they will also go after JD if they cross the line.
  6. sheppard

If this is nothing more than a reworked Great Dane then I'm bumping the Wright Stander back to first place.

7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The Deere "stander" was also advertised in an insert in this months Turf magazine.

They are called "QuikTrak" model numbers are: 647, 657, and 667.

Seems like the popularity of these machines are growing. Is an Exmark stander in the works?
  8. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

I think that Wright's patents ensure that Great Dane's/JD's stand-up mower will never be as comfortable to use as Wright's own Stander. Your feet are further back, and hands more forward than they are on the Stander.
  9. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I understand that JD is using the "7 iron" deck, while GD is still using the fabricated deck. Because of the deck design of the JD, the front casters appear to be designed ifferently than on the GD. The height adjustment for the deck is identical on both machines. Actually, on the JD/GD models your feet are more forward than on the line with the drive tires.
  10. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a GOOD photo of this mower, might just be what Ive been looking for!