The string trimmer saga!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by lazerzee, Jul 10, 2013.

1. JJRB

JJRB LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I have had a stihl fs 70 for about 3 years now and its been used in heavy commercial use for all 3 years. I have never had a problem with it. Its run flawlessly. The only complaint I have about it is it doesnt have as much power as I would like it to but thats understandable as it is there entry level commercial grade trimmer. All of my handhelds are stihl, trimmer, blower, chiansaw, and i have never had any problems with them. I would buy a stihl but I dont have any experience with other brands.

2. lazerzee

lazerzee LawnSite Member

Thank you everyone!

3. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl fs90r
    Or km-90r

4. show-n-go

show-n-go LawnSite Member

If you like that stihl, look at the Kombi system. You can add attachments as needed and keep using the same power head. So far I have the trimmer,edger,and blower. I'm going to get the bed redifiner and pole saw next week.

5. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Ive been pretty happy with the FS90r so no complaints here.

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

While there aren't really any bad answers so far, this is easily the best one yet.

I run Stihl and Husky. I like my FS90 very much, but it doesn't get used from trimming. I use my Husky 223 for that since it has plenty of power and is soooo light. The FS90R sees use as my stick edger mainly, but my articulating hedger, pole pruner and power sweeper, and it runs all of those attachments with ease. If I need raw power, I have my FS250.:)

7. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I have also had great luck with the 90R's. Its a great all around trimmer that has a solid shaft and can accept a ton of attachments.

8. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

for just normal trimming take a good hard look at the husky 323 or 326. both are 2lbs lighter than any of your choices and very comfortable for extended use.

9. lazerzee

lazerzee LawnSite Member

I have been using .o95 line on his unit what would you all suggest? he uses the echo line square I think.

10. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

0.95 Stihl green x-line or 0.95 oregon round magnum gatorline is what I would go for.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013