The stupidity of some companies

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Talking to a friend today asking why he quit his job he said it was from the stupidity.

Not going to mention the company name but anyhow they have this graduated pay you have to work a year before they give you a raise. They start you off on a low wage something like 16 dollars per hour and it takes you 3-4 years to even make 23 dollars per hour. Its all about cost cutting they pay the employees based on time spent with the company instead of experience. They have some employees dumb as a lump of coal making more per hour than a guy with tons more experience.

The friend was promised he would get top hourly rate because he has 25 years more experience than the other employees. They refused to may him more because "legally" they didn't have to. The stupid part the managers of the company don't give a rats --- all they want is cost cutting. They lost a guy that could do any job but because he was with the company only a year they wouldn't pay more than 16 dollars.

Makes you wonder the company is short of employees and they wonder why :rolleyes:

There are many companies doing that now they want experienced employees and pay McDonalds wages.

That just pizzes a guy off when you hear about stuff like that. Company screams we are short of employees. The truth doesn't come out that they pay welfare wages and treat the employees bad. They will be advertising in the paper again looking for employees.

I don't know why companies think they can get employees to work for 16 dollars per hour thats what you pay a highschool student to cut your lawn.

The B.C. gov't better make minimum wage atleast 15 dollars per hour even 20 dollars per hour is starvation wages.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Minimum wage $15/hr.?!?!? You are smoking some good stuff up there. Get in the real world dude, minimum wage is just that, minimum. If you're actually worth your salt, there shouldn't need to be a minimum wage. I haven't worked for minimum wage in 10 years and I'm only 21.

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

operators make that much up there? the best paying job here as an operator is to work for your self! the best paying job as an operator working for someone else is like ten or twelve dollars an hour working for the state running a backhoe.

4. Gravel Rat

The cost of living here in B.C. is very high. You make 15 dollars gross after taxes you make 10. You make the current minimum wage 7.50 per hour after taxes your probably making 5.

My job I make 21 after deductions and taxes I make 15.

One part of cost of living you pay 700-1200 dollars a month for rent on a basment suite or a small house. That takes up 90% of your monthly income.

If you own a diesel truck the price of diesel is 5.85 a gallon. I don't know what gas is.

A good excavator operator makes upto 30 dollars per hour. Labourers on a construction site make 21-23 dollars per hour. A carpenter with tools is making 35-40 dollars per hour.

A excavation company has to pay minimum 20 dollars per hour if they want to keep a employee.

I made 150 dollars with my truck just the other day I worked 2 hours.

Companies have to pay a decent wage I won't work for less than 20 dollars per hour cash.

A experienced excavator operator isn't going to work for anything less than 25 dollars per hour. I know the operators in the bush make 32 dollars per hour.

Alberta pays a little better wages.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

"It's not how much you make, it's how much you take" is a good expression I have learned over the years.

Minimum wage gets you maximum laziness.

Our local Municipality has been cost cutting too, giving high ranked jobs in charge of road crews and other important jobs to people that have "shoe salesman" and "kindergarten teacher" written on their resumes, it's all about the "deal" they get, good pay with a huge contract, and no brains.

6. Gravel Rat

You pay a poor wage you get a employee that doesn't work that good or like Ron says lazy.

The company I'am talking about is just going to get themselves to a point they will have no employees. Once you get a bad reputation as a bad company they will never find employees.

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Could you imagine being a waitress at the diner Gravel Rat frequents for lunch.
    I bet they try too run and hide when they see him pull up.
    Habitual complainers.

8. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

ha ha ha ha ha thats funny!what do you tip for a bowl of cornflakes.

9. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're going to b1tch about something at least have something legit to complain about. :rolleyes: 15 an hour. geez... try feeding a small family on $10/hr before tax and yes, that means about $6.50/hr after taxes.

Your cost of living is absolutely nuts though. We rented a nice small house for what you pay for a suite.

10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

My Mom was a waitress for most of her life and she had her fair share of Gravel Rats.