1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Sun Is Dangerous

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FatherandSon, Apr 10, 2002.

1. FatherandSon

FatherandSon LawnSite Member

Another Safety Tip. Use Sunblock, wear a large brim hat. I have spent a lot of time in the sun over my 55 years. Got burned many times in Vietnam, on the jersey beach. About 5 years ago had a brown spot develop on the side of my face near my ear. Doctor said it was nothing. This year, after my family's insistence, I made the doctor due a biopsy. Sure enough, Malignant Melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer. Was operated on 2 weeks ago, took out a large part of the side of my face. Good news is that he was a plastic surgeon and am no uglier than I was before. And he got it all. Doctor said one more year and it would of been too late.

I urge you all to use sun block and wear that hat. Skin cancer is easy to get and could kill you.

Be safe and happy mowing.
  2. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

That's definately no fun, my neck is peeling as we speak, I got roasted pretty good. I'm putting that sunblock on today when I go to finish up some work!

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the reminder Don...hope your recovery is a speed one.
  4. A.U.steve

A.U.steve LawnSite Member

This is a major problem over here as we have the highest rates of skin cancer in the world our U.V. index readings range between 14 and 16 (extreme) during the summer months.
  5. turfsup

turfsup LawnSite Member

Being in the sunshine state I know what you mean. The tanning index has hit 9 and 10 a couple of times this year already and with my fair skin all it takes is an hour and I'm cooked! The large brimmed hat is a must. It gets in the way sometimes but its worth it in the long run. Also stay hydrated. I've got a Camelbak and I do believe its the best investment Ive made to date.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What's a Camelbak? Never heard of it.
  7. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

It is a water back pack. You can buy one at a bike shop.
  8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't use a Camelbak due to riding a mower most of the day. But each to his own. I had a hired guy use one for a while and then quit. But if it works for you, have at it.

I always wear a wide brimmed hat. Being at 6000 ft + elevation the sun beats down pretty hard. I get a light colored cloth one with a dark green underside, to cut down on glare.

We don't get paid enough to pay for the medical bills that cancer can cause. :mad:
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

10. A.U.steve

A.U.steve LawnSite Member

You will go about 8 minutes here if your fair skinned, media reports post warnings.