The Take has landed

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tbi, Jul 21, 2010.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Well said.

2. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Fancy gages and other electronics have prov en to be unreliable and expensive to fix in automobiles, so why anybody would want them in a machine exposed to dirt, weather and other abuse is beyond me. Just another way for the manufacturers to have you by the balls when things break

3. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

The sad truth is that all OEMs will be going this way due to TIER IV emmissions and the use of ECUs in machines. This stuff has been around working reliably in large equipment for a while now. Now it is creeping into compact equipment. It's much cheaper to change control patterns in a mini-ex electronically compared to an A/B valve.

4. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I've owned enough Bobcats so far to say enough.
    Stone age problems include: Buckets falling off machines with lees than 1000 hours due to a flimsy face plate (my old salt riddled 773 doesn't have this problem), repeated power bobtach failures, new a/c hoses on all 4 machines I own that have a/c, new a/c compressors, repeated hand control fauilures, track adjuster failures, idler failures with less than 1000 hrs, keyless control failure ( it's real nice when you are working along and the machine just quits and maybe it will refire and maybe it won't. $600 for a new panel or $200 for a key panel), small cabs, poor entry grab bars, unprotected hyd couplers, trying to clean the track is like trying to stuff 5#'s of **** in a 3 # bag, accumulator failures, a swing problem that no one has been able to fix and the list goes on.

I stayed loyal as long as I could but I'm sick of being told I've never seen that happen before so .................

5. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

To be honest i have never had any major problems with any of the bobcat machines i have owned or have operated. Im not saying there the best, i just probably got lucky. And after hearing and seeing nothing but good things about taks on here, i will be adding one to my fleet in the near future for the brute work.

6. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I've owned 10 Bobcats over the years and probably 30 attachements and I can say without a doubt the quality has diminished greatly the past few years.

I also got a new hammer this year which proceeded to leak oil out of the valve body 45 minutes into it's first job. Within four hours a coupler failed. Needless to say it never made it through the first day. My dealer loves it when they see my # come up on caller ID.:hammerhead:

7. Blue Goose

Blue Goose LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think any of that is a result of Doosan?

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it is limited to any single brand where the quality of equipment is getting worse. From what my cousin keeps telling me about Cat equipment he works on everyday the quality control at Caterpillar has gone down hill.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

These issues were present before Doosan even considered buying BC. Actually I think you can lay some of the blame on poor management by IR.

10. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant LawnSite Senior Member

Can I ask roughly what it cost you? Just because there is a TL240 in GA with 200 hrs on it, wondering the difference between it and new. That seems to be a reasonable price.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010