The Tax Man Commeth, and Arrest too!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, Mar 29, 2004.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Like some others on this site, and as some of you may know, I'm a cop full time. Keep that in mind as I tell this story.

Last month I arrested a local LCO. I won't go into the details about the offense, but it was pretty bad. I've never met the guy before and he has no idea about my "side employment" as an LCO myself.

I arrive in court last Friday and speak with our prosecutor about the case. He tells me that this guy is going to plead guilty to the charges but that he has bigger problems. Just then, a woman comes in the door and introduces herself to me as she whips out a badge. It turns out that she is from the Department of Taxation and was investigating the guy I had arrested.

It turns out that this guy has not paid taxes on his business since 1999, has not paid income tax since 2000, and was collecting sales tax from customers without remitting it to the State of Ohio. This LCO has no idea that this tax agent is sitting in the court room as he is called by the bailiff. As this guy is being questioned by the Judge about his employment prior to sentencing, he says (as a matter of public record), that he has 95 customers and 3 employees after being in business for 7 years. I turn to see the tax agent taking notes. She arrests him as soon as the judge passes sentence.

On her way out, I asked her how she picked up the case. She said that her agency received three calls from customers that he had in the past. He must have really ticked some people off. I don't use the term "Scrub" often, but this guy would fit the definition, for sure.

B

2. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Did she work for the IRS? What branch of government?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

3. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

State of Ohio tax agent. She said that there are only 25 of them. He was charged with a 4th degree felony and two 1st degree misdemeanors.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

OUCH!!! That had to hurt

5. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

Moral of the Story: Pay your taxes!

6. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Moral of the Story: Pay your taxes!

lol, or dont get caught

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would like have seen the fines that he would have to pay

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha ... Ha ... I like that one .... please move down here .... just have to drive around any Saturday n get em

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

My wife has an uncle who lost his lucrative heating/air business and hasn't worked in over 20 years because he got busted. He knows that most of what he would earn would go to pay fines and back taxes, so now he lives in a hovel and bums off family.

Years ago, one of my father's sub-contractors in the building business arrived on site all pale and pasty. I hadn't seen him in a long time and I asked my father why he was so pale when normally these guys are leathery tan. He'd been in prison for not depositing payroll taxes!

These enforcement pushes tend to come in bunches as they look to make examples of people, so beware scrubby scrub scrubs.

10. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

hey Battags, how do u like ur Bobcat mowers? I'm a police officer as well. I just started my LCO last summer.