The term "bi-weekly"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowHouston, Jun 11, 2008.

1. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone ever get customers confused on this?

According to various dictionaries you will get results like:

1. occurring every two weeks.
    2. occurring twice a week; semiweekly.

Okay.... Mr Dictionary... make up your fooking mind! :hammerhead:

I had always used the term bi-weekly and thought it was the general term in our industry for service every other week.

How about you guys?

2. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

I thought it was Bi-Monthly.....

3. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

every other week,unless the customer is bigger.bi-monthly is every 15 days or so.

4. therealdeal412

therealdeal412 LawnSite Member

every other week i thought

5. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Same here as far as I know

6. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

i always thought biweekly meant twice a week

7. MowHouston

It seems that this term is one of the english words that has evolved into a different meaning over the years.

According to this article: http://jco.ascopubs.org/cgi/content/full/20/11/2758

"Oxaliplatin is a new anticancer drug active against colorectal cancer; it was developed mostly in France.1-3 The drug is usually given every 2 weeks. To describe their regimens, French authors have used the term "bimonthly." This use of the word "bimonthly" has caused and continues to cause confusion in the English literature.

In French, the word "bimensuel" is not ambiguous and means "twice a month." By contrast, in English the word "bimonthly" is ambiguous: Although it generally means "every 2 months," it can also mean "twice a month." Nevertheless, the latter meaning is seldom used in order to avoid confusion. WebsterÂ’s dictionary proposes to use the term "semimonthly" instead. Similarly, the French "bihebdomadaire" is not ambiguous and means "twice a week." By contrast, the English "biweekly" generally means "every 2 weeks" but may also mean "twice a week."

What is the best way out of this semantic confusion? Since "bimonthly" has the general meaning of every 2 months in current English, the term "bimonthly" should not be used to describe an every-2-weeks schedule. If authors prefer to refer to the duration of half a month (implying some imprecision, from 14 to 16 days) they should use the term "semimonthly." If they prefer to refer to the duration of 2 weeks, they should use the term "biweekly," implying precisely 14 days."

8. MowHouston

And bi-peds would be every other leg!

And bicycles would be every other wheel!

9. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

wow,who really care about the French.

10. MowHouston

rofl.. I think thats the reason it changed :) Good call from my point of view. They're so backwards. :dizzy: