The things people do

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I dug up a domestic line to tap it for our double check and was amazed at what I found.

This area has no meters, simply a gate valve. The plumber had originally used a plastic barb and a single clamp to install the gate valve on the street side, and then used a plastic tee to install a drain. Everything was single clamped on poly.

This is probably the worst domestic install I've seen. I just can't believe that a plumber would use a plastic barb fitting on the street side of a shut off valve.

I'll take a picture tommorow with my snazzy new camera phone.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I need to keep my camera in the truck. how about sideways PVBs, PVB in a valve box below ground, system with a PVB and anti siphon valves which happen to be below ground in a box (and they wonder why it's so wet in there), homeowner put in RP backwards, PVC fittings used as couplers for poly. Oh man we could go on forever.

3. Dirty Water

I've seen ASV valves in boxes quite often. Some people don't understand the concept i guess.

Have you ran into poly clamped onto regular galvi pipe nipples? I see it on occasion here.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. I have a few older systems that have ALL galvanized pipes for mains and laterals. And at least 2 with ALL copper mains and laterals. One of the galvi. systems has a few "conversions" to poly.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Handled carefully, you can make a pretty good connection with poly over pipe. I recall heating and sliding 1 1/2 inch poly over cracks in main lines of ABS pipe, for which we had no fittings. Tough to manipulate hot poly with bare hands, and gloves couldn't grip the stuff. Double-clamped with Ideal worm-gear clamps, it could be drip-tight.

6. guilty as charged

Back in the early 90's I had a home that had this strange assed black pipe that I used to have to fix....never could find fittings for it.....

Now I know...

7. Dirty Water

ABS pipe is pretty common up here on waste systems indoors.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Drainage ABS, sure, but ABS as pressure pipe was a rare item. It might also have been made in copper tube sizes. However strong it might have been, it was way too brittle. I would see tee fittings sheared off the pipe after a brass head got stepped on. I got into the habit of stocking 'milky' PVC cement, because of its ability to also work on ABS. Nowadays, I'd try to stock compression fittings and slip-fixes for that sort of pipe.

9. I used compression fittings....the brass ones...this pipe was in copper sizes.....pita.

10. Dirty Water

As promised, here is the professional plumber install:

[​IMG]

Crazy...I didn't want to mess with it so I used a sch 80 nipple out of the plastic tee and then went with brass from there for my double check.

[​IMG]

My phone doesn't have the best camera, but its better than none.

plumbercrap.jpeg

doublecheck.jpeg