1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The things you find excavating

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Masonman, Mar 18, 2005.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I forgot to call diggers hot line and hit a pipe! no just joshing you. I found a bumper at a retaining wall job horseshoe at another thats about it no swimming pools yet.
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I found a bomb, like the kind dropped from an airplane, when I was working at the golf course. After calling the bomb squad, it turned out to be a dummy bomb. Found out from some old timers that the property the GC was on was part of a field the Army used to practice their bombing prior to the start of WWII. Kept it as a conversation piece.
  3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I found a Michigan license plate from 1957 while doing a planting about 8 years ago. Pretty unusual.
  4. earthtool

earthtool LawnSite Member

Uncovered a 500 gallon fuel oil tank 36" from the foundation of a pre 1950's single story ranch. Had 125 gallons of oil and water in the tank. What a pain in the back side that was.
  5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot I found an old abandoned septic tank once. Broke the lid with the mini-x I was using (we were putting in downspout drainage), and ended up having to get it pumped out and then we filled it with gravel... It turned out to be a PITA too.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

nothing very interesting here.
    lots of concrete, etc.

i do however often fing the old pull off soda/beer can tabs. The older guys here will know what i'm talking about.

it's always funny. NONE of the kids that work for me are ever able to tell me what they are......

guess i'd better start taking my geratol.