The Trailer That I Almost Bought

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawnstriper23, Nov 22, 2006.

1. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

I found this nice brand new 5x8 open trailer which was on Ebay which caught my eye. It is exactly what I have been looking for and the seller is 2 hours away so I gave him a call. I called and the seller was a complete jackoff. For somebody that is looking to sell an item you think they would be willing to work out a deal and at least be polite to a potential buyer. I asked him how much he was willing to sell the trailer for and he said $600. I asked him if I offered him $600 right now would he be willing to end the auction and he said that he would end the auction once the cash is in hand (mind you that the auction ends in one day). I told him that I could "wire" him the money so he knew I was serious, but he said no it has to be cash in hand. Made me think that this trailer might even be "hot". I told him that I could drive down this weekend with cash in hand and he responded by telling me that the auction will be over and it would be tough beans for me. Oh well, I walked away from the deal because there is no way for me to get down there till this weekend. So, I am back on the market for a trailer.......Just thought I'd rant a little bit :)

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't be too hard on the guy. With all the scammers out there (you even said he might be one), he's probably being overly cautious. I'll bet he's thinking you may not show after he takes it off the auction early.

Call him this weekend and see if he still has it. If not, nothing lost and a better trailer is probably out there somewhere just waiting for you.:)

3. lawnstriper23

Understand your point, but from the minute we started to talk on the phone he seemed like he didn't want to talk. I did offer to wire the money so it's not like I would have bailed on him. Oh well, I hope he gets what he wants for the trailer..........

4. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

The deal is never done until the money is in your hand.

I would not pull a item for anyone until I had cash in hand. You miss too many other potential buyers by saying it is no longer for sale.

Too many people want you to "save" something for them. Then they either do not come back or they ask if you if you will then take less when they do come back.

If someone says that they want me to hold something for them, I tell them that will have to pay for it first or leave a large deposit to cover my time and money should they back out.

Once I have some money in hand, we have a binding contract.

5. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the seller, He might seem kind of harsh but I've been selling on ebay since 1999. I learned my lesson early on about ending auctions early. I won't end the auction till the deal is complete now.

6. lawnstriper23

Hence wiring the money to him. Would that be considered money in hand?