1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Treflan stained his sidewalk!!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jasonnau, Jun 30, 2005.

1. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

When doing mulch jobs, I use treflan 5g as my pre-emergent weed control. Today was a terrible day for a mulch job, but, hey, you've got to do something to make money right? Anyway, The job was an 8 yard mulch job on a $600,000.00 thousand plus house. It was about 93 degrees and muggy as hell. For some reason, the treflan that was on the sidewalk decided to break down quick and stain the sidewalk in front of their house. I'm guessing the humidity had something to do with this. Of course, it's not a normal sidewalk, it's those little pebbles, and they had it sealed about 3 weeks ago. Now, I need to know how to clean the yellow off of the sidewalk. I told the customer that water should do the trick. I forgot it's oil based. Hopefully dawn might work. I need some ideas tonight folks. I'm going back in the morning to take care of the problem......... Help! :dizzy:
  2. jasonnau

I really do need some help here fast.
  3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a washed type of driveway, someone parked and leaked oil on it....nothing worked to clean it..I grabbed a can of carb cleaner and it was gone....now I keep a few cans in the event it happens again....test a small spot and see if it works...

BRANDMEL LawnSite Member

vodka...It works...Trust me on this one...Just don't get cuffed for an open container, Drink the rest when you get home.
  5. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

vodka? Will it work on iron stains too?

BRANDMEL LawnSite Member

Vodka for any oil type residue, citric acid with a wire brush for heavy metal stains.
  7. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

I have never heard of vodka, but I will keep it in mind. For any rust stain I use rust away or rust-X works well.
  8. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

muratic acid(found at many janitorial supply houses) will do the trick as will the carb cleaner, although that's probably pretty harsh on the sealant. I used to clean all my tips in parts cleaner to get the iron residues off, but have to be quick or it softens the plastic too much. Gooey guns,parts and tips can always be cleaned that way.
  9. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

muratic acid works well, may want to dilute slightly as it is very potent out of the bottle, (don't breathe it!)
    usually does the trick!
  10. jasonnau

Do you think vodka or carb cleaner are going to hurt the sealant? This guy is not giving me any slack. If I hurt the sealant, I'm going to have to have a concrete guy strip the sealant off and reseal about 200 sq ft. of sidewalk. I have no idea what that will cost. What is really bugging me is that nowhere on the bag of treflan does it say it will stain. It's never happened to me before. Could the product be defective? Can I have the company that makes treflan pay for the damages? I profited about 500 dollars on this job. I have a feeling I'm going to spend more than I made to get it back to perfect. It is really bothering me to have a job gone bad that I can't make right.