1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

the true cost of employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 20, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my full time guy gets $12 an hour. i figure between wc, payroll service, matching taxes, etc etc, he costs us around $15 an hour. he's well worth it. but it's gonna cost us more soon enough. i want to make it a worthwhile position for my employees so they stick around for many years. i plan to add a week of paid vacation, and a couple paid sick/personal days. when i worked at the printers, we were encouraged to take our vacation/personal time during the slow season. this was not popular amoung the employees. in our line of work, we have about a 9 month work season, how would i encourage the employees to take vacation time? during the off season? during july/aug when things are hot and not growing? do any of you give vacation/personal time, and how do you go about scheduling this?
  2. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

When to take vacation? simple Between this date(11/1) and this date (3/1), it a weeks paid vacation, any other time it's on there dime. And as for the real cost of employees keep going...and don't forget additional wear on truck & equipment. I lost it last week on my main guy, he was throwing brush over the side of my 2004 truck & scratched pretty good (just clear coat). His response was to buy older trucks, my response was if you want reliable trucks with AC put the tailgate down.
  3. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget liability insurance goes up with employees also
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Only thing I will not allow bobby (during the mowing season) is having 2 employees off at the same time.
  5. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

What I was about to say.
  6. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

then usually truck insurance also up up
  7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

And once they leave that go and try to collect on you as well I hate employees and I get to slam two more this month of course one of the claims is left over from Jan !?!?!!? Takes for ever to resolve this crap and the funny part both these clowns quit on their own one May 04 the other May 05 so how do they get the balls to think I owe them a vacation when they can not even last to fall.

The new one parked the mower on the lawn and ran away you walked off now I read his statement it says I GOT FIRED no you quit.
  8. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

costs around $150.00 per day per worker in aussie with wages and super, payroll tax, and insurance's etc.
    I pay $18 and $20.00 per hr.
  9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you have to also figure in fuel vehicle expenses, non billable time, your billing time, fuel, etc......

i'll bet that your overhead adds more than $3.00/hr to thier pay.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I stopped this behaver by raising the sides of the trucks.