The TRUE secret to success in life

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by georgialawn88, Jan 27, 2014.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

A few of you know I went and visited one of the most successful lawn care companies in georgia. He has 17,000 accounts and hes "got it". I asked what his secret was and he told me confidence. I asked if he ever worried he would go under he said no because he was confident and it really doesnt cross his mind. this was 5 or 6 days ago and ive been thinking about successful people. take sam walton, owner of walmart. he really had to believe in himself and be onfident or he would have never tried doing what he did. donald trump same thing. Oh and ill add finding good people is also what he said and treating them right. But confidence was his #1. His son races BMW's on the weekend he was telling me about how confident he was in his racing. Just kept throwing examples of people with success and then people scared. scared people never make it.
    Ive been dwelling on this confidence thing for days using examples of people I know. Take my son for example. He was doing so good at baseball (hes 5) then in the last month hes just flat out lost it. he was hitting 70% of 50 balls for the last yr then he dropped to hitting one or 2. his timing was off and he was pissed at himself and just couldnt get it. Yesterday when we went to play I spread some magic potion on him and his bat (baby oil) we have a 8 month old. and when he went to bat he had a swag about him and i told my wife, get ready hes fixing to destroy these balls. well he hit 44 out of 50 and a few further then ever. He had confidence. he knew he had it. not hopefully hes got it back
    Look at kickers in the NFL they miss a few fg's all of a sudden they lose that look and confidence is gone they start missing more.
    I believe and what the successful business owner made me believe is confidence is a big key to success. If you mope around question yourself and think thats not possible then its not but if you got that swag about you and you know hey you got it then you do got it.
    last example, I used to have a friend hes dead now due to drinking and driving. He was 350 lbs. HUGE guy. I mean huge. You should see the chicks he got in bed with. he was confident. while his brother a average guy was not confident in himself at all guess what he never got laid.

Didnt mean to ramble everyone have a great day

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

That part is very true you need confidence.
    And work very hard and get up very early especially on the beginning.:waving:

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Interesting. I also think once you get into the business you begin to notice how and what guys do around you. Maybe that opens some doors or ideas.

Example ... Most companies here run ztrs. Might be a few that have a wb on the trailer. So could a company that only runs wbs do good? Maybe...could advertise fewer ruts or divots and no more "mower going too fast"

Other examples are all around. Just need to run the numbers and see what works most times. If you know what you are doing there is no reason you can't try something new. We must always be evolving

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately, this behavoir has become one mark of success in our society. Success because he was confident,...? His measure of success ended in death by his own choices. His measure of success was so misplaced that he needed an escape mechanism of drugs and alcohol. His measure of success prohibited him from dealing with the reality of living life. His measure of success left him empty and unsatisfied, and no peace, attempting to do life on his own terms.

Yes, confidence has merit. But, without skills, talent, passion, coupled with ethical and morally right choices, all the confidence will do no good.

5. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Being confident is important, being over confident can be a problem. Believing you know it all and not listening to advise can be detrimental in any situation. Having some doubt will help you learn.

6. georgialawn88

ok...........

7. georgialawn88

yes I agree too much of anything can hurt you. but that's in any case. his point was if youre not confident then you cant succeed. theres plenty of pieces to the puzzle of success.

8. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: GREAT response!!! I love it!

As you know, I firmly believe in the confidence & believing in yourself is the key to success. You're only as good as you think you are.

9. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

OK....how do we get confidence ? Can we get it overnight? You also must be a positive thinker and dissolve all negative thoughts.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good post. Most around here are happy with 100 to 150 customers. But could not imagine 17000 customers. My uncle started a gun cleaning company back in the late 80's. Now he employs 150+ people. What got him big was his no fear attitude and his big mouth. He talked to anyone and everyone. A good story teller and people loved to listen to them
    Posted via Mobile Device