1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The truth about "Fusion" Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowpart rep, Aug 18, 2006.

How much longer do "Fusion" blades last between sharpenings?

1. Twice as long. (the adveritising is true)

2. Longer, they are a definate benifit.

3. A little longer probably worth the money.

4. Not any longer, possibly due to my ground conditions ie: sandy soil

5. Not longer these blades are no better in any soil condition

1. mowpart rep

mowpart rep Sponsor

Many people have been e-mailing and calling me about getting a blade that lasts longer between sharpenings. I can tell you there is such a blade available. The Oregon "Fusion" is a treated blade that will just about double the time between sharpenings. This is a serious way to lower your bottom line. Everyone should try a set out for yourselves. I am certain you will like them. There are various types of fusion including Gator and Magnum Fusion.
    To learn more go to: http://www.oregonchain.com/OEP/fusion.htm
    For a cross reference go to:
  2. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Since the title to this thread says "Truth about Fusion Blades" I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I have bought & used the Fusion blades with the expectation they would last me twice as long as my regular Gator Magnums before needing sharpening. For me, in my mowing conditions, which shouldn't be drastically different then others in this business the Fusions came up way short. They did last a bit longer then the regular magnum Gators but no way did they come close to lasting twice as long. I'm not saying it can't happen, but for my company it didn't happen and we gave it quite a few chances, and with various mowing situations as well. I

Please don't take this as bashing the Fusion blades because I'm not, it's just in my case they didn't live up to the stated expectations and one of my pet peeves is seeing things advertised one way and actually performing another way. I still use Oregon blades, I use their mid & high lifts, and the Gator Magnums are a great blade for mulching & shredding leaves.

I know you are a sponsor here and my comments above are not directed towards you at all, no disrespect intended. I was just thoroughly disappointed in the Fusions and that is not your fault. Just want to make that clear.

DELKEL LawnSite Member

I buy nothing but Fusion Blades now. They hold up great for me. Granted we have black dirt down here which is supposedly the easiest on wearing blades out. All I know is dey good fer me:waving:
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Russell but I want to add to my bottom line...not lower it.:rolleyes:
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

My vote is for a little longer than the standard blades...

The catch is that on my 50" dixon, when they introduced the Fusion blades (that are a standard 1/4 inch thick) the standard Dixon highlifts also were changed to be 1/4 inch thick material instead of the .020 or whatever it was, less than 1/4". I never tried the new thicker standard blades I went straight to the Fusions. In other words I don't really have a good comparision.

I sharpen my blades when they are only a "little dull". It couldn't cut my finger (not turning of course, lol) so it's not sharp enough to cut grass anymore...

One thing I see that I think is sort of a misrepresentation is that I see people saying that the Fusion part is "in the blade" it's really NOT "in" the blade at all, its a layer on the bottom side of the cutting edge that's only about 3 inches or so in length from the end of the blade and about 3/8" wide. Once you have sharpened the blade so many times you DO sharpen it all away and you are back to a standard blade again.