The unkillable weed part duce! Is it worth the battle?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redspot321, Jun 9, 2008.

1. redspot321

redspot321 LawnSite Member

Okay guys I'm cleaning up the thread a bit and want to ask you all a few questions. BTW, Thanks for all of your input.

A little info.

I have a Floratam St. Augustine Lawn that is 8 years old. I have been following the same maintenance schedule for the past 8 years with good results until now. Basically my major issue is Creeping Beggar weed. I treated my entire lawn (120 x 80) with Image herbicide 4 weeks ago. At week 2 the beggar weed yellowed. It was dark green again within a week or two.

After the beggar weed was back as normal I spot treated with Image again. This time it turned the turf yellow as well.

Now I have beggar weed in a weak thin, yellow, turf........

At this point what is recommended? I'm in Zone 10 its in the mid-high 90's.

I'm assuming the yellow turf is stunted and stressed. Fertilization probabaly not a good Idea. Herbicide is only worsening the problem.

Can this weed be pulled successfully by hand? It just breaks off under the turf, I cant get to the root.
    Am I wasting my time hand pulling?
    Should I just Round it UP and lay new sod?
    Should I just leave it alone and get a fresh start next spring?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

2. redspot321

redspot321 LawnSite Member

Anyone?;)

What do I do?

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

try mansion (manor or blade) plus a spreader sticker might want to give the grass a chance to recover first

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

if your talking about creeping charlie, kind of looks like a vine type waxy leaf, I have found that 2-4d in the form of Three way from lesco seems to work pretty well. The leaves are big enough that you can take a back pack and keep the majority of it on the leaf and off the lawn.

And the stuff is a WHOLE lot cheaper than Image if I remember correctly.