The unkillable weed!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redspot321, Jun 8, 2008.

1. redspot321

redspot321 LawnSite Member

Beggarweed, this stuff is tough. I spent $100 on Image herbicide (Ammonium salt of imaziquin). My local Extension service said this stuff will kill it.

It wont! I have talke to another guy here who says octane might do the job.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Q4 might do the job.
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Try a 3 way herbicide of 2,4-D, Dicambia and Mecoprop. You can find it under the retail brand of Weed Be Gone.
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Q 4 might do a great job of controlling Beggar Weed while toasting St Augustine Grave yard dead.
  5. redspot321

redspot321 LawnSite Member

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I suggest "Ricicide" , that stuff kills most every thing , no label needed
  8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Call a pro in who will apply 1/2-1 oz of metsulfuron per acre to the lawn. Normal 2,4-D, MCPP herbicides are rather harsh on st augustine grass and beggarweed tends to be resistant. Clopyralid will kill this out without much stress to st augustine , however that harbicide is illegal on residential lawns. Whatever is done to a resistant weed such as this one, it is best done through a callibrated spray machine, rather than a rough guestimate applied through a hand sprayer. I make this last statement from years of experience. I have seen herbicides applied through noncallibarated hand sprayers screw up zoysia and bermuda lawns. The two grasses that are normally hard to kill.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This, like many weeds, is better controlled over time with a few applications. Ground Ivy (creeping charlie) is much the same way. It grows with runners, so though you kill the stuff that is surfaced, more will be along to follow. What happens, is it gets smaller and smaller, until it is finally gone.
  10. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

it absolutely will kill the floritam variety of st augustine....and should be used at 1/2 rate for centipede and st should also be careful if the air temp is above 85..