The use of the word "Hardy"

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sheshovel, Jun 4, 2005.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

The word "Hardy" is used in horticultural terms exclusively to describe a plant or trees ability to withstand cold temperatures.

It is not used to describe the plants ability to withstand transplantation,
    adverse conditions or anything else about it.

When you ask for a "Hardy" plant or tree(A tree is a plant also)then are going to show you plants that can take low temps and cold conditions
    When you speak to a professional in the horticultural community,and you use the word "Hardy"they are going to know you are refering to a plant that can withstand cold and not the plants ability to withstand any other condition. :cool:
    Thought I would let some know this cuz it can make you sound unprofessional to use this word in the wrong context and way. :D
  2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

What's interesting about this is that as far as I know the term "hardy", when describing a plant, doesn't actually have a specific cold tolerance figure... such as being able to withstand a specific temperature. If you compare one species of plant to another, one hardy and the other not, then you get a relative idea which one can survive colder temperatures better. But does that mean that such a plant is suited for zone 3 or less? I don't think so. Guess that's why we say "hardy down to zone 4", or whatever the case.

Funny, I can't think of a term right off the bat that describes a plants ability to withstand transplating more than another. (scratching my head)
  3. sheshovel

I use term,"transplants well" or "dosen't transplant well". the reason I mentioned the proper use of the word is there are people useing the word in the wrong way here and it makes them sound like they don't know what they are really saying when they say hardy,
    it does not mean
    "tough""sturdy""strong""or "easy to grow"
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

lots of people here say lots of things that make them sound unprofessional
  5. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

plants such as daylilies I call "Hard to kill." You can transplant them, run them over with a car, not water them and they do fine. Many of my customers like "Hard to kill" plants.
  6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Well, lets see - there are hardy annuals (not as frost sensitive as tender annuals that are killed by any frost), half-hardy annuals (sometimes hardy, sometimes not, depending on temps and snow cover), hardy perennials (it all boils down to the zone map).

Hardy perennials can be only hardy to zone 7 and still be considered 'hardy' for those zone areas. Hardy in your zone might not be hardy in mine. It's been my experience that many plants that are reputedly 'hardy to zone 4' are called that PRIMARILY because they haven't been tested in any colder areas. I routinely plant and grow zone 5 plants here in zone 3. Sometimes they survive, sometimes they thrive, and sometimes they die. Life is a learning experience.
  7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Could we just be talking about a difference in spelling or spelling error? I looked up these two words in the dictionary, and as the definitions pertain to this topic, hardy means resistant or tolerant to cold, while hearty means exhibiting vigorous, good health.
  8. sheshovel

This could be possible,I was speaking of some newbees to landscaping and them giving advice using the word hardy when explaining a plant going to be transplanted or not.Mabey that's what they ment hearty.But people do use that word interchangably and I felt like they needed clarification.