the verdict: three yards of mulch...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by snapper, Nov 17, 2006.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

versus single axle 6.5x12 trailer. Well i made some sides (pictures to follow) and went and got three big scoops, which was suppose to be three plus yards. I didnt weigh the first time, but i could tell on the way home i was maxed out because the springs were bottomed and the 15" tires which were inflated to 50 psi looked like they were flat going home. But i made it. I went back later and got two more scoops. I weighed going in with me in the truck at 5220, and left at 8100.(pretty sure give or take 3 or 400) so two yards were 2800 which means one is 1440 which means the first load of three scoops was 4320.. These figures are rough so we will just say the first load was over 2 tons. I will say i do not like that much weight on a single axle but it handled quite well, and the only thing that had me worried were the tires.. The second load was the perfect max weight, it handled it perfect and the tires looked much better that trip. So i think until i get a tandem i will stick to a ton max... Ohyea, the mulch was kinda wet cause we has some rain couple days prior. Ok thats my story.. Any comments??

later chris

trailer mulch back.jpg

trailer mulch side.jpg

2. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

You are lucky you didn't bend the axle on that first load.

3. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

If you are going to haul something on a trailer, make sure it's rated for it.
    The family you kill could be mine.
    Just because you can do it does not mean you should haul more than your trailer is rated for.

4. snapper

regarding the saftey, if you read back i did some home work and it looked like it would safely haul the load, it wasnt until it was loaded i realized it was a bit much and much later till i found out just how much.. And i said that i was aware that i was overweight and wouldnt do it again. So please no more safty speeches... And yea iam glad the axle survived..

later chris

5. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

their scale is off then, no way 1 scoop is 1400 pounds.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

1400 lbs for dirt maybe, but mulch?

We have a much beefier single axle (Rated to 7k) that I tow a 4900 lb trencher on all the time.

There is more to capacity than the axle count.

7. snapper

well their scales might be off, but two scoops durn near filled up my 6.5x12x1 and the axle didnt have much travel left and the tires showed that they were heavily loaded, and not to mention the way if felt behind the truck. This stuff might not be an even yard, but i know them two scoops were heavy and had the trailer at its max and the first load was way too much. So i dont know for sure but that load of two scoops maxed my trailer. If it matters this is recycled double ground green waste..

Later chris..

8. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

where are you guys buying mulch, i load 2 scoops of mulch in the back of my half ton and it does drop at all. Ive loaded 6 scoops plus 2 scoops of rock on my 6.5x14 and it doesnt sag at all.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm wondering if Snappers yard uses a Cat 966 to load like my local gravel yard does.

[​IMG]

Those are more like 5 yard buckets :laugh:

10. snapper

They use a big wheel loader with a smaller bucket, if you look straight on the front, it looks like it would fit between the front tires. He said it was a full yard, and then he heaps it up some..

later chris