1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Walker Walk Behind 42'

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jnm4, Dec 15, 2003.

1. jnm4

jnm4 LawnSite Member

I'd like to know if the price tag ($4700) is justifified for a 2003 42" Walker W/B?? This includes a micro-mulchind deck. I 'd really like to here my anyone that owns this Walker W/B.

I was impressed with the throttle controls. Before the dealer ran the mower for me...I thought a big no-no when I saw those pistol grips, but to my surprise Walker has designed the mower were you utliize a "button" to engage the hydro transmission. I know I probably described that wrong, but my point is I thought it was a good feature to reduce wear-n-tear on my hands.

I'd like to know both pro's & cons' of this Walker.

p.s. For all the readers that will respond by saying get a "so-n-so" I already have Exmark pegged as my 2nd choice.

2. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

I tried it out at the Expo in Louisville and it was real nice but I couldnt justify the price, I havent seen a dealer in my area have one in stock, one said he would order a person one but they are to expensive to stock, I would buy a small deck rider before I spent that much for a Walk Behind, I had rather ride than walk any day.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I test drove one last year and was equally impressed with the "button" throttle control. I already own one Walker tractor unit and two decks...one ghs and discharge. I thought with would be a great answer if I needed another mower, but here's the problems. At the time, they only offered the unit with a 15hp engine and I need that to power a 52" deck and pull me behind a sulky.....I don't think so. Give me a 20hp and I'll consider it. I think the unit without the deck was around $4K. There was a lot of negative response from people about this mower because it was going to cost $4K for the unit...then another $2K for a deck. This is not something that is targeted towards someone who is going to take this route. I think it's more targeted towards somebody that is my postion.....who already owns a couple of decks already.
  4. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I tested one for a couple of days this summer and was extremely disappointed. It does not stay on a hill any better than a walker rider. The traction was poor and it got stuck very easy. The unit I was using had a problem with the speed control switch and I was constantly fighting it to get the exact speed that I wanted. As far as the power it was not as bad as I thought it would be pushing a 52" mulch deck. The power did not sway me at all in my opinion of the mower, it was strictly the handling.
    I am in the marked currently for a new WB and have narrowed my decission down between the Exmark TTHP 48" and the Gravely Pro H 48".
    Good luck with your decision. My advise is demo the Walker. You might like it better than I did.
  5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyone got somthing more up-to-date on this mower?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. WalkerRunner

WalkerRunner LawnSite Member

Our local Walker Dealer has had one of these in stock for the past "many" years...I guess you could say that it's an old stock/new item. As mentioned, these walk behinds are so very expensive and under-powered. Not competive at all. A person can purchase a stand behind for less and with more power. I have tried to purchase this old/new unit a couple of times, but he will not reduce which I feel is poor business. I would think it would make more sense to unload it and put the money where it would turn over quicker. Oh well, it's his choice...and my choice was between a John Deere or Toro. After reading comments on this site about the walker walk behine...I think I made a good decision. Good luck with spending your hard earned money.
  7. oldclawn

oldclawn LawnSite Senior Member

We've used one for several years with zero issues. I expect it to be on one of my trucks for several more years.
  8. travski

travski LawnSite Member

I bought a 2003 MT26GHS for $6K.... I'd say if you are going to spend close to $5K for a walk-behind you might as well pay a little more and get the real deal. If you just need a walk behind, than I'd go with something newer and half the cost like a Toro mid size. Just my 2 cents but you can do whatever you think is best for your business.