the wall I'm building is off by a few inches.....what to do?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mow&Snow, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm building a wall with a Bolduc stone. While the wall looks great to the eye, it is not 90 degrees from the house like it's sopposed to be. It's out by about 8 inches over 50 feet. I'm wondering if I should fix it (2 days work), tell the customer about it and see what he thinks, or say nothing, as he is real happy with it right now.
    any opinions on this would be appreciated.
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

If he is real happy, maybe you should just be quiet. But, my momma always told me honesty is the best policy. Not that not saying is dishonest, but if you get called on it later it COULD ruin your reputation.

3. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the wall looks good, is level... and the customer is happy with it, then why fix it? Chalk it up to a learning exp. and get it perfect next time. ;)
  4. Mow&Snow

The wall is COMPLETELY level. It even looks good, but it bothers me that its not straight out from the house. The only reason I even know, is cuz I'm building a walk that runs from the wall up to the front door. While setting up for the walk i realized that it was out a bit. I can fudge the walk alittle to make it line up ok tho. But it still bothers me.
  5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel your pain.

I get real upset about any detail in my work that goes unoticed untill its finished.

Honestly, I agree with most and say swallow your pride and let it slide. If they are happy, then why worry.

If you are like me, and really, really hate it, I guess you could move it.......well, should say rebuild it!

This is what it's all about in this business.....the company is only as good as its work......and in many cases, only as good as owner thinks the work is.

I've seen some darn near perfect projects that others could only dream of being able to do be torn down because of 'one' little thing.

From a business standpoint, let it go.........from a personal standpoint......only you have the answer.

6. LawnPro in NC

LawnPro in NC LawnSite Member

Tell the homeowner and let them decide. at least it's off you. He/She may say let it go.
    That's just like me to point out a small defect in my project that no one would ever see but I see everytime I look at it.

Let your conseicne, You know what I mean, be you guide.
  7. Mow&Snow

You know, I must admit, if this was less than 2 days worth of work ripping out then redoing 50 feet of wall, I would just redo it. But that is a lot of labor. Thats the thing that haging me up.
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

LawnPro has the same idea I do. Tell the customer about it, let them know it's not perfect and will make it right if need be. I would bet they say leave it alone. By doing this you are proving your professionalism and concern for a quality job. I know that's a buttload of re-work, but it would be less conspicous to fix it now then to pull out and come back in a month or whatever and have to re-do it. What other landscaping may be in the way by then? Might cost more down the road then now. We all know that stuff will always haunt you and cost you later.
    I really believe the customer will let it fly though if he is pleased so far. Good luck. Lessons learned!
  9. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

If the customer likes it. I would bring it to his attention that its not perfect and offer him some kind of discount to leave it as is. It is ovious this is bothering you and your not going to be happy with this on your mind. I'm sure that if he's happy now he will be thrilled to save $200.00 or what you think its worth.

10. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I say do not bring it to the customer's attention. A customer's satisfaction is a matter of perception really...and of expectations being met.

If he is happy...don't burn up resources looking for perfection. You may lay it out 8 inches off the other way this time...Then what...a second rebuild?

My .02