The Water Moc encounter....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dennis E., May 18, 2002.

1. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Serviced the two big clinics that I usually do on Sat. because they are closed. Much easier to service with no one around. Except for the "residents".
    One building has two rather large retention ponds. Beyond that is some undeveloped pasture where there are a few horses and cows. Well I'm working around the edge of one of the retention areas with the WB,with a velke. I'm minding my own business,just mowing,trying to get done for the day. I see what I think is a stick. I push down on the handles of the WB to lift a little to not hit it. IT MOVED! It was a Moc. And he's MAD now. It coils a little and turns TOWARDS the velke and gets aggressive.
    I jumped off the velke and to the opposite side of the mower,from him, to get away. Trying to stay in control of the mower AND stay away from this angry snake.This little dude was not afraid of the mower or me. Once I got past it,it fled in the other direction down into the nasty part of the retention area. My son brought over the ZTR. He took the WB and I took the ZTR to finish.
    We saw the Moc later and by this time it was calmed down. My son was freaked out when he saw it. We were within 6ft. or so and it was real calm. Not aggressive. Beautiful markings. About 3 1/2 feet in length. I let it be. I never go out of my way to hurt snakes for they have a purpose also. Lots of mice on this property and the snakes do a good job of "rodent control". This snake looked like it had just had a meal.
    Real close call,but a happy ending. Be careful out there. This was my closest call in 14 years.
    I did not think I could still move that fast!!:D ;)

2. ShortCuts

ShortCuts LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I would of turned it into "snake fric-a-cee"

I HATE SNAKES!

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldve let him get a real close of what high lifts look like and how well side discharging works:D

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Snakes in the blender! :D

Bunnies in the blender. :(

Turtles in the blender. :rolleyes:

Almost a few "overactive" small dog paws in the blender. :eek:

Countless amounts of Dog Poop in the blender! :mad:

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm with mdb on this one... gators with doubles and a viscious side discharge, i'm sure puree'd snake is a delicasy some where!

6. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

geez, i can see snakes and bunnies in a blender, but turtles???? :)

7. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

A few weeks ago, I was weedeating a ditch bank and without seeing it I hit a black snake about 5" long. The trimmer cut his head off and slung the rest of him around my leg. It happened so fast that I did not know what kind it was untill it was wraplped around my leg. I took about two steps to cover about 10' of ground before realizing it was just a black runner.

8. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

It's not funny,then. But after awhile it gets to be amusing. I was LMAO after reading your post. My kids and wife think the visual of me dancing the "jig"trying to get away from the moc is pretty hilarious. I'm not laughing just yet.:rolleyes:
    My BP must have been off the charts for a bit after my little encounter.:eek:

9. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

LMAO, I like how you got on the ZTR after seeing the snake, and put your son on the WB. I like the way you think, that is too funny!

10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Must be the month for snakes....I have been weed eating several large properties for the past 5 years and never saw a snake (it actually seemed quite odd). well that all changed the other day when I hit one with the FS200R trimmer. It scared the Sh** out of me. He took off even though he ws missing his A** end. I tried to attack and put him out of his misery (yeah right) Kill him, but he found a hole.

Don't know what kind it was.. not a black snake and not a gardner. I wasn't near any water.

What happens if a rattler breeds with a black snake? Is this posible? Poisonis or not?