the wave

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by NCSERVICE, Apr 28, 2006.

1. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

I dont understand, truckers wave at each other, people who have motorcycles, or drive jeeps... why is it that i wave at another landscaper driving by on a small subdivision and they do nothing just pretend to ignore. saw another landscaper at the gas pump while filling up $124 this morning, he was 4 feet away, i said good morning he just looked at me. i dont understand the hostility, we can fight each other and under bid jobs while giving each other the cold shoulder or we can work together to all be more profitable.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Next time that happens..stick your tongue out at them
    works for me!Really after you do that a few times..they start waving at ya!

3. NCSERVICE

stick my finger out haha

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I always wave if I haven't already waved first.:)

5. sheshovel

No No it's gotta be the tongue only!That's the only way it works right.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

See I keep to myself, most folks get the hint but some find it 'exciting' to talk to a business owner and the only reason we're talking is because doing so excites them and it takes time and there's no telling how long but basically this goes on until their inner urge is satisfied. These I generally don't mind too much, other than the time factor at least this is pleasant and if I'm in no rush, the bs can be refreshing and it's a change of routine on the light side of things.

Then there's the oddball who had anything but lawn care on their mind until they saw me and ooops suddenly the idea springs and OH I got some work I need doing (now but not 30 seconds ago) - Wild goose chase, almost guaranteed. Mildly amusing at times up to highly irritating at others.

Other times someone comes up acting all nice and smiling and stuff, I never know exactly what it is they want because it's beat around the bush for several minutes until they finally ask what they been meaning to ask all along, which is them trying to get something for nothing, or trying to sell me something, or swing some kind of deal (their deal thou). This one irks me because I can see this one coming for miles, and my attitude the whole time is spit it out already! Oh nooo, gotta play the dumb beat around the bush thing, sigh..

Last but not least there's the people who want to take my business for a test drive, so they come up trying to push my buttons or stick their hand on my boat's rudder (figuratively speaking). Another way to say it is, they're being slick about it but they want to have their way with me, another version of something for nothing except it involves one-up-manship. This one catches the shortest end of my fuse, I hate folks who think of me as their slave, or they think just because I'm an employee obligates me to be polite and helpful to them. In some ways, I relate this to a dog taking a leak on a fire hydrant... Very funny except it marks the fire hydrant and in this case, they are the dog and I'm the hydrant, and sorry but I don't like being marked as someone's property.

This hasn't always been the case, but most of the time it's one of those, the one or three times out of every hundred it isn't like that just isn't worth fooling with any of it. The problem is most of these can be hard to get rid of other than being brisk about things, if I don't have 20 minutes then I don't have it, sorry.

7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

My mother ALWAYS told me growin' up - "You can kill with kindness!"
    I'm 42 yrs. old & it still works, today - ALWAYS!!!!!:usflag:

8. NCSERVICE

I aint looking to make buddies with every landscaper i pass on the road, we cut houses on the same street, hire the same guys, eat at the same fast food resturants have the same pain in the ass customers. alls im saying is we all have the same goals so no need to treat each other like sheet. i wonder if ups drivers wave at fed ex drivers?

9. sheshovel

I dunno but I wave at them both!I like Fed-X and UPS drivers....won't tell you the story though...rated XXX

10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i drive a Jeep grand cherokee, and any one else who i see on the road with one waves at me and i wave back. don't know why. every one that has a Jeep usualy refers to it as "The Jeep" people with escalades and 2500's and other four wheel drives don't do this, they refer to thier car as "my car" or "the truck", but they don't specify what kind it is. (you don't see people with mazda miattas saying "it's in my Miatta" or "it's in the escalde", just Jeep people.)