The way my equiptment looks

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CoreyD, Jan 24, 2007.

1. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

ok im just woudnering if yall think the way my machines and trailers look could affect how i get customers....?

I have a 30 year old wooden trailer that i use for hauling leaves off with it has walls as tall as my jeep cherokee and it is as long as my jeep cherokee.... heh it is pretty ugly

and then i have a 1994 44" yard machines old school riding lawn mower it runs like its brand new but its rusty and it use to be black but now all you can see is rust.....

and then the trailer i put the lawn mower on.... its just big enough for the riding mower to be put on and only the riding mower.... this trailer has wooden bars and it flips up like a dump trailer whenever i load///unload the lawnmower.... does this make me look bad?

2. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Well,,,,,, YOu have to start somewhere. I will tell you that the mower and trailer you have will not last long. As long as you get commercial equipment as you can I don't see anything wrong with it. Not many on here can say that they started with the best (looking or functional) equipment. I will also say that I keep my equipment clean as this looks good in my opinion and it makes it last longer... I have a WB (Red-Hawk) that the paint has faded to pink (Pink-Hawk) and I have it apart right now getting ready to paint it because I am not going to mow with a pink mower.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

The majority of the residential (middle-working class) don't care how you get it done as long as it looks good when it's done. I will say that the better contracts will not come to you with that equipment and I would focus on upgrading as quickly as my budget permitted, but you have to start somewhere.

Don't try to bid bigger jobs too soon though because you have a couple good years before your equipment will be to that standard.

4. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

To be honest, if I drove by your setup I would automatically think lowballer or weekend warrior. That's very stereotypical, I know. I'm sorry. Everyone has to start somewhere.

What's most important is you are happy with what you have and what you do. It shouldn't really matter how you get the job done, as long as the customer is happy with the end result.

5. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

I have to agree, however that is the smarter approach than going into debt over your head just to look good.

6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

You gotta start somewhere, however, I think I would make every effort to make your tractor look better. Spend an afternoon with a wire wheel to remove as much rust as you can and paint it to make it look better.

I started on a 5 year old Murray Riding mower. After I got 2 Contracts signed and had 2 other regular customers, I purchsed a Z, and I kept upgrading my equipment. You will get there, just try to look as good as you can within reason.

7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree with this. The upper class residentials may see you as an eye sore or figure your equipment is not up to their standards to do the job.

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

It may be stereotypical, but the truth.

Aslong you make the yards look great and strive to improve your equipment ,jus do what you have to do.

Spend an afternoon cleaning everything up!:usflag:

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

yeah you have to start somewhere but appearance does affect the kind of customer base you will get. Most people who live in decent neighborhoods and upscale areas won't want a run down trashy looking business doing work for them. I know you may not like what I'm saying but its true. Take the time and grind the rust of of you mower and paint it and fix up the trailer and paint it too. The appearance you have described will come accross to customers as being to lazy to take care of your equipment or someone who doesn't care about what he uses or what it looks like. This can and will have an adverse affect on customers. You dont have to have a fancy commercial ztr or walkbehind but customers do want a proffesional appearance and a proffesional job done. Quality work should be your #1 priority and then appearance.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

its a necesity, but can be done by the homeowner, so its really a luxury......and with that comes image....the neighbors are watching, do they want that old trailor parked infront of there beautiful home?

sorry but with that kind of set up, in my experience, you will only attract the bottom feeders......cheap clients.....

get a new trailor now....and upgrade the rest as you can afford