The "We just want you to get us started for the year" kind of people

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Wilson Edge, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

I know that i have had problems with this but i want to hear your stories and solutions. Every year about 3-4 weeks up to 10 weeks into the season. I always get a call from some person saying they just want me to come One time and get there lawn started for them. I get this all the time but have created a solution for it. Depending on how bad it is or how long since the last mow. I usualy quote it for 3 times the normal price. Or i give them the option to get it mowed for the regular price. and sign a year contract. What do you guys do in this situation?

2. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

when they ask me for a "one time only cut" to get them started i simply say no thanks, i'm not interested,. the same when someone asks me if i will come only when they call. No thanks, I'm not interested. i do weekly cuts and once in a while i may accept a bi-weekly but not often.

3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I would do the job but charge about 50% more than I normally would.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Ditto! If you have time, why wouldn't you do it?

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

yep, 1 time cuts always charge extra.

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

How come overgrown 1-time lawns are the ones with hidden treasures...like a rollerskate or a brick? :laugh: :dizzy: :hammerhead:

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I only do them now under the following conditions...

1- A neighbor of a customer (I'm right there anyway)

2- During a drought when things are slow

3- As a favor for another LCO, if I can fit iit into my schedule that week.

8. willjones4

willjones4 LawnSite Member

pfft! Yall go ahead and leave them out there, I'll scoop them up. If its a little overgrown I'll just charge more. That one time money spends the same as regularly scheduled money!
    I hope I can one day turn down work, but right now Im taking on all I can get.

9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Not in my business plan. I don't need that kind of abuse on my equipment, and I only want full service accounts with ferts and apps. Sure, you can pick up a quick couple of bucks, but that won't build your business.

If I think I have a chance of converting them to full service, then I might do it, but otherwise, I don't want it. I could use that hour putting out door hangers.... and maybe get a $1500 yearly account out of it instead.

I try to stay focused... and follow my business plan.

10. tennesseelawnguy

tennesseelawnguy LawnSite Member

I don't bother with one time deals now. Years ago when i first started i did quite a few like that and my experiences were not all that great. It sucks to charge $80 for what would normally be a $30 yard and then hit a stump or toy or worse and then spend hundreds on a new spindle. just say no thanks and find a better customer.