The Weeds Must Diiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeee!!!!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by neoborn, Jun 21, 2008.

1. neoborn

neoborn LawnSite Member
    from Canadia

Hey Guys,:canadaflag:

I wonder if someone here can confirm what this weed that's taking over my garden and lawn is? Is it purslane? Also how or what is the best way to eradicate this pest?

2. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Not knowing what a purslane was I did a google search. Your pics didn't match their images. Looks like some sort of caladium to me.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Where is Canadia? Eh? I suspect that this is a new lawn, with new topsoil, (which is the source of the weed). To me the weed looks like bindweed--or wild morning glory. Spray it with Trimec--repeat as needed. For new grass wait until the second mowing. Hopefully the weed cannot tolerate short mowing.

But wait--is anything legal in Canada anymore? Think about Octane. Many times safer than Trimec or Weed B Gone. Works fast. And it disappears form the soil in two hours. Talk to the Octane salesman, Shaneb.
  4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

ditto on bindweed
  5. neoborn

neoborn LawnSite Member
    from Canadia

Do I have to spray each one individually? The freaking stuff is everywhere.
  6. Precedence

Precedence LawnSite Member

Spray with a herbicide that contains 2-4-D, Dicamba and Mecoprop (Par III, Trillion, Killex, ect..), it will take several applications to control it. The best time to spray it, when you'll get the best control, is when it first starts to flower.

2-4-D and Dicamba will only kill broadleaf plants so it's safe for the lawn, in the garden be carefull when applying near ornamentals.

More Info:
  7. DPF

DPF LawnSite Member

Yup, bindweed. I'm lousy with it in my groundcover evergeen in the front yard. Afraid to spray with anything for fear of killing the ground cover. The bindweed grows from beneath then as soon as I see it, I trace it down and pull it from the ground. Keeps coming back though.

Have managed it down to about 1/3 it original density though.

Every once in a while I find it trying to spread into the grass. Hate the stuff.

8. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive heard the roots can get four feet long.