The Week in Review

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 29, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Took some pictures of some of the problems encountered this week. With all the R&D going on I also spent some quality time on the computer during the hottest part of the day writing up reports that included pictures and RainCAD drawings.

This Week @ Work IV-01.jpg

This Week @ Work IV-02.jpg

This Week @ Work IV-03.jpg

This Week @ Work IV-04.jpg

This Week @ Work IV-05.jpg

2. PurpHaze

The last of the pictures.

This Week @ Work IV-06.jpg

This Week @ Work IV-07.jpg

This Week @ Work IV-08.jpg

This Week @ Work IV-09.jpg

This Week @ Work IV-10.jpg

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

That was a slick repair, was the original failure in the mainline tee, or the valve itself?

4. Dirty Water

How are you doing these irrigation locates, memory and asbuilts, or did you bury tracer wire?

5. PurpHaze

Original failure was in the 3" main line tee AND the male adapter on the inlet side of the valve. Decided to go ahead and install a new valve ($90) because I've encountered way too many leaking valves with "etched" inlet threads that can become a problem later. Then when we dug it up I discovered telltale washed white sand near the lateral line tee. The lateral had been pushed down right on top of the main line so with the extra 90s I was able to get a little more flexibility and take some of the stress off it.

Here's what they usually look like after they're covered and no one locally gets to see the artwork. :laugh:

Highland Valve A-7 Replacement IV-01.jpg

6. Dirty Water

Odd that you have so many mainline failures.

We maintain a 15-20 year old system on a huge condo complex. I've done 2 mainline repairs in the last 3 years that were not caused by construction.

7. PurpHaze

Some are via asbuilts (IF we have them), some by memory from previous searches and digs, some (main lines) by tracing controller commons with our 521. Tracer wire is never buried with lateral lines and most of the time is hit and miss depending on situation. If I've been back into an area a couple of times I'll usually then CAD an area out best I can. Sometimes we'll spend many hours looking for a line put in 30 years ago and then just have a 49 cent cap as parts. :weightlifter:

I'd post one of the R&D schematics but I don't believe I can attach a DW2 file to forum posts. Besides... you'd then need to download and install the free Design CAD viewer in order to view/print it.

I'm not too concerned if a lateral line is hit but I'm very protective of mains. I have two lateral line breaks pending from our maintenance guys installing "tow away" signs Friday near parking lots. I'm quite pleased they at least called me this time and we merely shut down the zone until I can get out there. Usually I find out when the site calls in about a big flood. :dizzy:

8. PurpHaze

Now multiply that condo complex by about 50 and you'll see we have a lot of main lines in the ground. Couple this with adding booster pumps onto areas and maybe the old mains (and construction concepts at original time of install) are being subjected to pressures and stresses they're not used to.

It used to be worse when we had to hand dig them all. Now with the Bobcat backhoe it's a piece of cake. And we don't really have to wait a few days until a large muddy area has solidified a little before digging like we needed to in the past.

9. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

In that picture above what brand 3" compression repair coupling is that?

How well do they work on mains? Laterals? Ive seen them before on large pipe 6" and bigger didnt know they made um that small

10. Dirty Water

Its a Dresser coupling I think. I've never used one, but Hayes likes them a lot.