the "what does" thread

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stslawncare, Sep 28, 2002.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey guys, after a hour or two lastnight of searching here and after seeing some other threads, i figured to make a what does thread. this will help answer many of my questions, and im sure many others.

what does aeration do to a lawn and how does it benefit??????

what does dethatching do to a lawn and how does it benefit????

what does applying lime to a lawn do and how does it benefit???

if anyone else can think of more please add, and of course all answers welcomed :)

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

What does recycling clippings by mulching do to a lawn and how does it benefit?

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

thats interesting if i had found those threads when searching i wouldnt have posted but i did 2 searches one for dethatching and one for aeration. thanks

5. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

You can find alot searching. If having trouble, try different words or phrases. Good luck.

6. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I am not trying to be mean by saying this, but sometimes when you do a search on, say for example " aeriate" sorry if it is mispelled, you find a lot of threads with that word but a lot of times the thread might be pertaining to something else about aeriating instead of what you want to know. So what I am trying to say is that it is easier sometimes to just ask it the way you want to ask. I am sick of every time someone post a question , someone always says to just search it . Well, if that was the case, I am sure that just about every question about lawn businesses has been asked in here at one time or another and there should be no reason that anyone should ever post a question in here. Now I like to read new post, sometimes you hear an input from someone that probably didnt input in another thread so it is nice to bring up a subject more than once. That way newbies in here can learn . So if I post something about "doubles" then maybe a new person might see it and learn from it , but if everyone just searched for "doubles" than the subject wouldve never been brought up and a new person would never know about them. I think I said whats on my mind . Sorry if I offended anyone .

Lasher

7. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

I agree with Lazer66. Just ask. Who cares if it has been covered before. I got really frustrated a couple of weeks ago when I posted a thread on plowsite. I spelled 2 words wrong and no one answered my question. All of the replies where about spelling stuff right and doing searches. I say if u already talked about somethiing and don't want to answer it again then don't. Anyway. Areating helps allow air, moisture, and nutrients into the soil. Esp. hard and compact soil. But its good for any yard no matter how well kept. I usually areate 2 times per year. Mid to late spring and again in the fall.

8. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Hear hear!!!!

9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

For those unfamiliar with the etiquette of computer bulletin boards, it is considered rude and impertinent to ask a question that has been asked & answered before. 10-15 years ago, when digital storage was quite expensive, common questions were archived in an FAQ section, and if you asked one of those questions, you were blasted for your stupidity in not reading the FAQ first.

Today, all old comments can be stored, and search functions are available, so it is expected that you will search for a topic before you ask any questions on it. You might not find the exact answer you want in a search, and then ask your question that will add more information to the board's archives.

Learn how to use searching, and you will get more information than you will ever get by posting a much asked question, not just on this board, but on the whole internet. If you can't spell, there are books called dictionaries, and there is even www.dictionary.com, which will suggest the correct spelling if you don't know it.

If the originator of this thread spent one or two hours searching those topics, he didn't even scratch the surface. Here are search results for just one of them:

<a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=153977&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending">145 threads containing "dethatch"</a>, or <a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=153978&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending">361 threads containing "thatch"</a>

And a Google for "dethatch" will get you <a href="http://www.google.com/search?as_q=dethatch&num=10&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images">over 1200 hits</a>

To re-ask and re-ask the same questions is just plain ignorance. And it clutters the board so future searches are more difficult for others.

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

groundskeeper ,i have much respect for your views an opinions. having said that ,let me say ,while i value the search,on this forum,these are guys interested in
    better lco methods . not what is suppose to be proper ettiquett on forums.
    we are not all going to always get that part rite . not that i agree with your point about reposting about old subjects. to some of us there all old subjects. but i still learn something everyday from new ideas about old subjects.i for one cant even hear caps. but my eyes say they can read them easier. this not meant, to encourage every body to always use caps. just making a point.
    aint the rite to disaggree a super thing.:)
    with respect. tm