1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

the wheel re-invented

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FERT-TEK, Mar 15, 2005.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently had a competitor blanket advertise in my area leaving fliers on front doors for lawn service and landscaping. I usually look for different ideas from the competition and this guy has an interesting idea. His flyer is your typical flyer made on a computer advertising the services he provides but here is the difference.... the bottom of his flyer is made out to be torn off and returned as a contract of services which also has a disclaimer of automatic renewal for the following year. FYI, most of the lawns in my area are about 10000 sq/ft so his flyer advertises $25.00 per cut which is normal for this area and square footage. My point is that he has his foot in the door of every person looking for a service. The problem is he will most likely get the larger lawns that should be paying more for their service.

Any one else do this? How did it work out for you.
  2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I would not drop my gate for a 10000 sq ft lawn for less than $45. But the idea sounds good to me.
  3. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

10000 sq ft is a large lawn for 25.00. he probaly lose his shirt if he doesn't know what he is doing. or maybe just low operating costs. i would never price a lawn without seeing it first. you can get a corner lot with double the edging and lots of trees to whip.
  4. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

$25 does sound a bit cheap, but i couldnt get $45 for it here either
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

that size yard around here would probibly go for around $25. people around here don't like to pay much for lawn care.

That is my point, he will probably get a lot of work out of this type of advertising and yes he will probably loose his shirt on some jobs. What I imagine will happen next is either he will return to the home that returned the contract and state the price was just an average cost and not accurate for their property and bump it up, or he will take the job and bump the price up next year. If he honors the price quoted the cusotomer will probably get what they paid for and nothing more. Either way I bet he gets a better return on his advertisment than most companies. He will definitely get contracts for every person who is currently paying more than $25.00. That sucks!!!
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

And what exactly is the problem with this?
  8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

To answer your question, YES he will get quite a bit of work from it. I did the exact same thing in two subdivisions 2 years ago that had small and very similar yards. The only difference was we took time to write in each lawns price before we left it and we gained several new customers from it and they are all also still with us. Would I do it again, NO because it is too time consuming.
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Not to slam you but be very careful with that mindset has I promise you it is "famous last words". I had 2 part-time LCO's tell me the exact same thing last year at different times when I spoke to them in a large subdivison that at the time about 5 different companies cut in. I just gave them my card and said, that I didn't really have a "set" mininum like that as I waited to make up my mind when I see the property as each one is different. One of them had 10 accts and the other 12. Well, I now have all 10 of the first ones accts and the eXmark ZTR with only 200 hours that the other had that I obtained when they went out of business.
  10. FERT-TEK

The problem is that he is diluting our fee structure while lowballing his jobs. Not a problem for me at this point but could be for me or the next guy who comes along after the lowballer has moved on trying to get a fair price for his services. The new customer will expect that price again and again. Now you might reply, so what you dont want those jobs anyway but that isn't true for anyone who thinks that. Ths is because those jobs are the ones that keep your route tight and increase YOUR dollar per hour rate up.

After reading my original thread I would like to clarify that I think that these people are bad for business because they are driving our prices down although I still think that his advertising is probably mor effective than regular flyers.