the wife and trimmers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by We do 4 U, May 29, 2002.

1. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

My wife is interested in helping me this summer. The only problem is she is 5'2" and 115 lbs and can not run my sthil trimmer. Would a curved shaft trimmer be better for her size? I would like some input before I go and buy her trimmer.

2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Don't make the same mistake I did. I let her drive the mower, now she is better than me and I have to do the trimming. I would have been full time by now and she would have been home, instead she does lawnwork full time and I still work in the house construction field..

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Trimming correctly is an art and its hard to teach. You also create a big liability exposure with all the potential fllying debris that can be created. I am not saying that it is impossible to teach, I am saying that you can't just give someone a trimmer and expect them to know all the tricks and techniques.

Whatever you do, let her try the equipment first. I remember how proud Eric was that his wife did the trimming and from what I heard, she was excellent at it. Good Luck.
    BTW my wife works with me too, she doesn't trim.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

many will disagree but go get her the 25 cc craftsman . its just strong enough to do the job and light enough to be easy to handle. use 50-1 echo an 90 octane and she can crank it. the secrete to cranking is to pull steady a couple a pulls but not hard . if every thing else is right
    shell crank w easy pulls.
    this is strictly an around the house trimmer . ive got one one the truck
    thats in its third yr,an a couple o back ups waitin for when it does finally break.
    check sears for returns . ive never paid over 50 . only thing wrong with most is
    bad mix. good luck

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl makes a couple of lightweight curve shaft trimmers.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Just bought my second BT225 Redmax curved shaft trimmer. It's super light, vibration free, and plenty of power. FWIW, they say it's under 9 lbs and I believe it. It's noticeably lighter than an Echo GT 2400 bentshaft machine. Also, it's commercial rated, with commercial clutch.
    It's so new, you won't find it on the Redmax web site and you'll have to order it, most likely. It's by far the lightest, smoothest machine I've used in 20 years....
    Pete

7. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

What I would do is to go buy a $69 curved shaft "ZIP Start" Homelite. It's very light weight and easy to start and handle. It's really all that she needs at this point.

If it works out that she wants to continue to help you out, then invest in a better quality trimmer once she has developed some handling techniques, etc. - letting her choose one.

If it doesn't work out with her, then you haven't invested much and now have you an inexpensive backup or something.

Good luck and I personally think it's great that your wife wants to help you out.

BAMARED

8. Tim Baden

Tim Baden LawnSite Member

I agree with Bamared,go buy one of the cheap ones to start with.If you use a push mower in you biz let her do that.Let her run the equipment.
    My wife used to run the 36"scag,she did a better job than me.It all comes to this...as long as the customer is happy when your done. Thats always been my thought.

9. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

The Stihl FS 46 curved shaft trimmer is ideal for a shorter person and also lightweight. I am 6' and I use it on steep banks because I can hold it and trim with one hand.

10. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

My wife? Help me? Thats too funny. She is allergic to HEAT!!:D