the wind blow my straw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Apr 17, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i now someone out there had this problem.. i installed a new lawn today and came back by a hr later because is noticed it was getting really windy and noticed that it blow a lot of straw off of the soil.... what is going to happen? any suggestions on what to do..

2. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Use Penn Mulch , you will never have that problem again and no weeds from the seed in the straw

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

did you leave the seed on top of the soil? use a roller to make ground contact?

4. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

First of all.....hooked on phonics worked for me......:D

But to your question, Not sure about Md, but around me in NE Illinois After laying down a starter fert then seed, it's not recommended to lay down anything (straw, mulch, peat moss, etc.) on top of that because of the moisture already in the ground.
    Not sure by you.

5. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i know in future jobs i'll price it to use penn mulch.. i haven't used it before but i see it is the best thing to use

6. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Hydroseeding

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

did you water the straw down after you were done with it. usually after i finish putting down straw, i give it a good soaking, and it holds it down. although eventually it will dry out, but its a good temporary fix.

8. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

9. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

simple solution net it with netting ! you can get seed netting comes in 8 foot wide rolls by 100 feet long it works great here it runs 48 bucks a roll . i usually cut in half that way ya have two 4 foot rolls an easier to work with then pin it with sod pins . keeps the seed an straw in place an turns out a nice lawn !!

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen awful washouts from hydroseeding. Worst washout I ever had was the time I tested PennMulch, LOL. Downpour washed away all the PennMulch, and the straw stayed in place. I have NEVER had a washout from properly applied and watered straw.

Mulching a new seeding with straw is an ideal (and old fashioned ) way to stabilize the soil surface and hold moisture for new seedlings. Since is is impossible to get clean straw today, you will get some wheat growing in the new lawn. But wheat is a winter annual, will not be able to go to seed with mowing, and will die off next spring, or during the summer in the case of spring seeding. Wheat was actually planted with new lawns until the 1920s, when it was stopped to make seeding cheaper. Wheat is THE BEST soil stabilizer: 3-4 days after it hits the ground, you have roots down to 4-6".

The only disadvantage is that straw can blow in strong winds, but if watered regularly, as a new seeding should be, blowing of a proper straw mulch should not be a problem. Straw should be applied so about half of soil surface is visible, and spread evenly - no clumps to be caught by wind. If wind has blown off the straw, add some to the bare areas, and make sure regular irrigation is applied, 2 or 3 times a day.