The worst headache

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, May 3, 2011.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Damn, you must of had that trimmer at WOT for that to happen. This is the reason why I keep my trimmer half throttle so this doesn't happen and as well damage from material being flung from the trimmer. I hope you feel better.

2. Aaronnc

Aaronnc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7B

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately, doesn't take much if you're going at a good clip.

Not sure where I was but probably cruise control which is around 90%,
    can't remember but I'd swear I was doing the usual upside-down trimmer
    since I was doing a ditch, in which case I was likely also going one-handed.

May not be the smartest way, just like to get the job done.

I have one but I also know when I'm bleeding heavily there's little in that stupid kit to stop it,
    and not so much stop it but hold it on, plastic bandages won't hold to skin once they're soaked
    with blood, the glue won't stick.

And by the time I get the gauze all unwrapped and secured on there...
    To be honest I'm just glad that's all it was.

But I do have one.
    Another in the house, and another in the car.
    Three all in all.

4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Glad you weren't injured any worse than you were. Also glad to hear you were wearing eye protection. Just plain stupid to trim without safety glasses, but I've seen lots of people do so.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Those dang "first-aid" kits are about useless unless your 3-year old falls and scraps his knee or you happen to get a paper cut. Most first aid kits only come with some alcohol wipes, band-aids and a gauze roll.

Here's what I carry... http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&cat=&style=TK080

6. Aaronnc

from Zone 7B

What you carry is useless, unless your lost in the dark, or foot falls asleep. Jesus Christ people, I was just trying to help. Carry whatever you want. He11, I even know the directions to the hospital if you want to get in a pissing match Bradley. Some of you guys really are miserable @$$holes.

7. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

Glad it was no worse than it was. We all need a wake up call.

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not trying to be a d*** but when you go through what most first aid kits have, it is mainly bandaids, a gauze roll, a couple alcohol wipes, some tape and a cheap pair of scissors. If you have any cut that is bleeding moderately, you can't easily handle it with the stuff that comes in those kits. Bandaids are useless for larger cuts/scraps. A gauze roll is nice if you have a pad or two already over the wound, then just wrap it up. But the normal first aid kits don't come with any dressings to wrap up with the gauze roll. They don't come with eye wash, they don't come with the 4"x4" dressings, they don't come with cold packs nor the burn dressings for minor burns. They really lack tons of stuff that is very useful for the injuries we could receive in this line of work.

The standard first aid kits contain good stuff for small cuts, but the cuts/scrapes/injuries we can get in our line of work can not be easily managed by those first aid kits. If you are bleeding like Topsites was, you would have to take care of the blood with a towel or t-shirt because you don't have the proper dressings to treat the wound in your first aid kit. Like I said, they are great to treat your 3 year old who scraped his knee or if you get a small cut, but anything more than that and you are left trying to find other things to put over your wound.

I really am not trying to have a "pissing match" with you. If you really want to get so angry with me, I can go ahead and list all my medical certifications but that will only escalate the argument I'm sure.

My main point is that when you buy a first aid/medical kit to keep in your vehicle, make sure it has contents that can acutally be used to help you when you need them. Bandaids aren't going to stop you from bleeding.

9. Aaronnc

from Zone 7B

Glad to see your doing alot with all those medical certifications. Hell yeah, I want to get into a pissing match with you, let me go get my neighbor who's a pediatric neurologist. He owes me a favor anyway. In the meantime, let me drop some Mayo Clinic in that arse: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-severe-bleeding/FA00038

10. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Topsites: Glad you're ok.