The year of the Locust!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, May 11, 2004.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

How many here have already started to see them around? Today alone I seen about 8 and had one decide he wanted a ride on my hat for a couple lawns. I just let him sit up there till he decided to leave. I find these bugs to be very interesting. I predict here in maryland that in the next 2 weeks they will be every where. I remember the last time they came out all day long you could feel crunching under your feet and mower for about a month.

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I thought the year was 2 years ago? I was working for a company and they were every where, like hundreds per tree.

3. ProStreetCamaro

Hmmmm interesting. Maybe they come out different years in diff parts of the country. It's all over the news here. Each day I am seeing more and more.

4. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

5. joeboy4

joeboy4 LawnSite Member

I think he is refering to the cicada

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Joeboy4 hit the nail on the head I believe. They are starting to come out now. It will be awful in a few weeks.

Gravely_Man

7. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

As soon as the ground temp hits 64* they will be coming up. The cicadas have different broads. Broad X is the 17 year one that is going to be bad on the East Coast.

8. ProStreetCamaro

Yeah thats what I meant. Sorry had a brain fart. Man they are ugly but on the other hand are really cool. Big red beady eyes.

9. ProStreetCamaro

Yup and I live in maryland!! We gonna be crunching along this summer. I am sure I will have many passengers along the way LOL

10. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Yea here in my part of NC we started hearing them today. At two different accounts it was a constant hum. My helper had no idea what I was talking about but almost hesitated getting out of the truck. One landed on my shirt and I took it over to let him see what one looks like. Yes, Cicada is the correct name used here.